The West Virginia Mountaineers will open their season as 11-point favorites on their home court when they take on the Akron Zips (1-0) at WVU Coliseum. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, November 8, 2019.
Akron Zips vs. West Virginia Mountaineers Betting Odds
The Zips defeated the Malone Pioneers in their last contest, 81-64. Xeyrius Williams led Akron in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-17 shooting. Akron played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500. Malone was 17.9 and 0.429, respectively, for those same stats.
Last season, West Virginia did not make the tournament following a 10-18 regular season.
Meanwhile, the Mountaineers owned records of 10-18 SU and 17-16 ATS last season. The Mountaineers’ games had a tendency to go over the O/U total (51.5 percent).
Since last season, West Virginia has done a great job of getting to the free throw line. They rank 58th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.268), but Akron was among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents off the line (ranking 49th by allowing a FTA rate of 0.193). Moreover, the 11th-ranked defense of the Zips (opponents’ effective field goal percentage of 0.451) will clash against the 313th-ranked offense of the Mountaineers (effective field goal percentage of 0.475).
Akron Zips vs. West Virginia Mountaineers Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- West Virginia ranks 20th in rebounds per game (39.6) while Akron ranks 297th in rebounds allowed per game (39.1).
- The Zips rank 13th in three pointers attempted per game (28.3) while the Mountaineers rank 113th (23.7).
- Akron blocks 3.3 opponent shots per game, which is ranked 145th in the nation. West Virginia ranks 186th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- The Zips rank 77th in steals allowed per game (5.7) while the Mountaineers rank 268th (8.3).
- Akron ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (10.2) while West Virginia ranks 195th (13.5).