The Akron Zips (12-16, 5-11 MAC) will travel to Alumni Arena to challenge the Buffalo Bulls (21-8, 13-3 MAC) in their home finale. Buffalo is a 16.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 159 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018.
Akron Zips vs. Buffalo Bulls Betting Preview
The last time the Zips played, they lost a close one to the Miami (OH) RedHawks, 64-62. With 24 points on 9-for-18 shooting, Daniel Utomi was the game’s high scorer. Miami (OH) forced the Zips into a turnover percentage of 22.8 (above their season average of 17.0). Akron, on the other hand, held the RedHawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.383 (below their season average of 0.518).
The Bulls come in on a high note after blowing out the Ohio Bobcats in their last outing, 108-82. Buffalo’s Wes Clark had a good game, putting up 12 points, 11 assists and five rebounds. Buffalo played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 39.0 (above their season average of 31.0) and a turnover percentage of 11.2 (better than their season average of 15.1). Ohio was 17.9 and 16.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Buffalo could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense faces off against one of the NCAA’s worst defenses. The Bulls currently rank 44th in offensive efficiency, while Akron ranks 292nd in defensive efficiency.
Of Akron’s 26 games with betting action, 14 have finished under the projected point total, while 17 of Buffalo’s 26 games have finished over the O/U total. The Bulls have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (21-8 vs. 12-16) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (12-12-2 vs. 11-15).
Jeremy Harris has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Buffalo, averaging 20.6 points, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 152 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 156.5. The Bulls won 87-65, covering as 6.5-point favorites. The Bulls played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.545. For those same stats, the Zips were 20.7 and 0.383, respectively. Despite the loss, Virshon Cotton was the game’s leading scorer with 23 points.
Akron Zips vs. Buffalo Bulls Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Buffalo, ATS Winner – Buffalo, O/U – Over
- The Bulls average 4.0 blocks per game, which ranks 69th in the nation. The Zips rank 114th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Buffalo averages 6.3 steals per game, which ranks 112th in the NCAA. Akron ranks 117th in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- Buffalo is 5-5-1 ATS at home, while Akron is 4-9 ATS on the road.
- Of the Zips’ 13 road games, they have 7 unders and 6 overs.
- In 11 home games, the Bulls have 7 overs and 4 unders.
- Buffalo ranks 11th in assists per game (17.2) while Akron ranks 192nd (12.8).
- The Bulls rank 32nd in rebounds per game (38.8) while the Zips rank 210th (33.9).
- Buffalo averages 26.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 26th in the nation. Akron ranks 168th in three pointers allowed per game (22.4).
- Buffalo is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Akron is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulls’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 7.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 71.4 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (0.9 below their season average).