The DePaul Blue Demons (0-1) and the No. 4 Michigan State Spartans (2-1) face off in the Phil Knight Invitational – Victory at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Tip-off is scheduled for 11:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 23, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Michigan State Spartans vs. DePaul Blue Demons Free Preview
In the Spartans last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Stony Brook Seawolves, 93-71. Nick Ward was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Michigan State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.386 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.3. Stony Brook was 0.169 and 21.1, respectively, for those same stats.
The Blue Demons are hoping for a better outcome after their 82-73 loss to the Illinois Fighting Illini in their last contest. Justin Roberts was DePauls leading scorer with 19 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Illinois did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (27-36; 75.0 percent). DePaul, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (18.5 vs. 19.2).
When considering effective field goal percentage, Michigan State should have a noteworthy advantage. Since last season, the Spartans offense ranks 31st in that metric at 0.546, while the DePaul defense ranks 321st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.536).
Michigan State Spartans vs. DePaul Blue Demons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Spartans rank 116th in rebounds per game (36.8) while the Blue Demons rank 281st (33.1).
- Michigan State ranks 186th in three pointers attempted per game (20.6) while DePaul ranks 295th (17.7).
- Michigan State ranks ninth in assists per game (17.3) while DePaul ranks 282nd (11.4).
- The Spartans rank 23rd in blocks per game (5.0) while the Blue Demons rank 199th (2.9).
- DePaul ranks 117th in steals per game (6.6) while Michigan State ranks 286th (4.4).