The Syracuse Orange (1-0) will be at home in Carrier Dome when they take on the Iona Gaels (0-1). Syracuse is a 10-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 151.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 14, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Iona Gaels vs. Syracuse Orange Odds Preview
In the Gaels last contest, they lost a close one to the Albany Great Danes, 69-67. With 17 points on 8-for-10 shooting, TK Edogi was Ionas leading scorer. Albany had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (48.7 vs. 20.0). Iona, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (9.7 vs. 15.6).
The Orange come in on a high note after blowing out the Cornell Big Red in their last outing, 77-45. Oshae Brissett led the way for Syracuse, finishing with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Syracuse played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 9.3 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.8. Cornell put up marks of 19.1 and 29.8, respectively, for those same stats.
The high-octane offense of Syracuse will face off against the mid-tier defense of Iona. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, the Orange rank 44th in offensive efficiency, while the Gaels are 237th in defensive efficiency. The Orange figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. It will also be a matchup of opposite styles as the up-and-down Gaels rank 60th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Orange rank 262nd.
The Gaels are 22-13 straight up (SU) since last season, but have had a difficult time covering the spread (14-18-1 against the spread (ATS)). Since last season, Iona games have gone over the projected point total 57.6 percent of the time.
Meanwhile, the Orange, are 19-14 SU and 15-15 ATS since last season. Vegas has had a tendency to place the total low when Syracuse has been involved over that same time frame as 66.7 percent of their games have gone over the O/U total.
Iona Gaels at Syracuse Orange Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Syracuse, ATS Winner – Syracuse, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Orange average 35.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 180th in the NCAA. The Gaels rank 294th in rebounds allowed per game (38.6).
- Iona ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while Syracuse ranks 128th (6.0).
- Iona averages 24.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 49th in the nation. Syracuse ranks 307th in three pointers allowed per game (25.4).
- The Gaels average 15.4 assists per game, which ranks 57th in the NCAA. The Orange rank 302nd in assists allowed per game (16.9).
- Syracuse ranks 35th in blocks per game (4.7) while Iona ranks 169th (3.1).