The Youngstown State Penguins (5-13, 3-2 Hor) will attempt to snap the six-game winning streak of Wright State when they travel to Ervin J. Nutter Center to take on the Raiders (13-5, 5-0 Hor). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 146.5 points with Wright State opening as a 13-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
Youngstown State Penguins at Wright State Raiders Free Preview
The Penguins lost a close one to the Detroit Titans in their last contest, 93-91. With 26 points on 10-for-20 shooting, Cameron Morse was Youngstown State’s leading scorer. Detroit did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (19-26; 73.1 percent). Youngstown State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (16.9 vs. 18.9).
The last time the Raiders played, they defeated the Northern Kentucky Norse, 84-81. Wright State received a boost from Grant Benzinger, who was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 8-for-13 shooting. The Raiders made 21 of their 28 free throws (75.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.485).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Wright State offense. Wright State ranks 275th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Youngstown State forces the 45th-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.5 percent). ,
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Youngstown State have gone over 60.0 percent of the time, while Wright State games have gone under 62.5 percent of the time. The Raiders come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-5 SU and 9-7 ATS, while the Penguins are 5-13 SU and 7-8 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Penguins, it’s been Morse, who has averaged 16.0 points, 5.6 assists and 1.4 steals, while the Raiders have gotten solid contributions from Benzinger (17.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Raiders won the most recent matchup 84-81. The Raiders played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.246 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1. For those same stats, the Penguins recorded marks of 0.186 and 27.6, respectively.
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Wright State Raiders Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wright State, ATS Winner – Youngstown State, O/U – Under
- Youngstown State is 5-8 ATS on the road, while Wright State is 3-4 ATS at home.
- The Penguins have 8 overs and 5 unders in 13 road games.
- The Raiders have gone under in all 7 of their home games.
- Wright State ranks 84th in assists allowed per game (12.7) while Youngstown State ranks 236th (16.6).
- The Penguins rank 10th in steals per game (9.2) while the Raiders rank 112th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Wright State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Youngstown State is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Raiders average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Penguins have scored an average of 82.0 points per game (5.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.4 points per game (2.9 below their season average).