The Youngstown State Penguins (2-8), who are currently on a six-game skid, look to get back in the win column when they travel to Dee Glen Smith Spectrum to meet the Utah State Aggies (6-6). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 154 points with Utah State opening as an 18.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Utah State Aggies Odds Preview
The Penguins were blown out by the Idaho State Bengals in their last matchup, 86-62. Youngstown State’s Tyree Robinson had 11 points and five rebounds in the contest. Idaho State had a free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.271). Youngstown State, meanwhile, forced the Bengals into a turnover percentage of 22.5 (above their season average of 18.8).
In the Aggies last matchup, they dismantled the Life Pacific Warriors, 96-62. Utah State received a boost from Dwayne Brown Jr. who was the games leading scorer with 24 points on 11-for-15 shooting. Utah State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.183 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.708 (above their season average of 0.501). Life Pacific put up marks of 0.095 and 0.444, respectively, for those same stats.
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Utah State. Utah State ranks 149th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Youngstown State forces the 26th-most turnovers in the nation (24.2 percent). It will also be a matchup of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Penguins rank seventh in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Aggies rank 269th.
Of Youngstown State’s 8 games with betting action, four have finished over the O/U total, while 6 of Utah State’s 9 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Aggies have a clear advantage. They are 6-6 SU and 4-5 ATS, while the Penguins are 2-8 SU and 1-7 ATS.
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Utah State Aggies Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Utah State, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Under
- The Penguins rank 89th in rebounds per game (37.7) while the Aggies rank 120th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4).
- Youngstown State ranks ninth in steals per game (10.0) while Utah State ranks 169th (5.5).
- The Aggies rank 111th in assists per game (13.3) while the Penguins rank 220th in assists allowed per game (17.2).
- Youngstown State ranks 43rd in three pointers allowed per game (19.0) while Utah State ranks 137th (21.5).
- The Aggies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 4.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Penguins have scored an average of 64.0 points per game (13.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 82.8 points per game (1.0 below their season average).