The Youngstown State Penguins (2-9), who are currently on a seven-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they travel to Assembly Hall to take on the Indiana Hoosiers (7-6). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 158.5 points with Indiana opening as a 24-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Youngstown State Penguins at Indiana Hoosiers Betting Preview
The Penguins fell to the Utah State Aggies in their last game, 91-74. Cameron Morse put together a solid performance for Youngstown State, leading the team in scoring with 23 points on 8-for-23 shooting. Utah State had a free throw rate of 0.442 (above their season average of 0.255). Youngstown State, on the other hand, held the Aggies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.7 (below their season average of 29.4).
In the Hoosiers last game, they blew out the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles, 87-59. With 20 points on 6-for-9 shooting, Josh Newkirk was the top scorer from either team. Indiana played a flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.284 (above their season average of 0.251) and a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 16.2). Tennessee Tech was 0.094 and 18.9, respectively, for those same stats.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Indiana. Indiana ranks 152nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Youngstown State forces the 31st-most turnovers in the nation (23.4 percent). This contest should be a matchup of conflicting tempos. The up-tempo Penguins rank 10th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Hoosiers rank 275th.
Games involving these teams tend to finish over the O/U total. Youngstown State games have gone over 55.6 percent of the time, while 61.5 percent of Indiana games have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Hoosiers have a sizable advantage. They are 7-6 SU and 5-6-2 ATS, while the Penguins are 2-9 SU and 2-7 ATS.
Juwan Morgan has been outstanding over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 20.8 points and 10.0 rebounds per game.
Youngstown State Penguins at Indiana Hoosiers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Indiana, ATS Winner – Youngstown State, O/U – Under
- The Hoosiers rank 78th in rebounds per game (37.8) while the Penguins rank 172nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.9).
- Indiana averages 13.8 assists per game, which ranks 135th in the NCAA. Youngstown State ranks 228th in assists allowed per game (16.8).
- Youngstown State ranks 11th in steals per game (9.6) while Indiana ranks 142nd (5.7).
- The Penguins rank 41st in three pointers allowed per game (19.0) while the Hoosiers rank 171st (23.4).
- Indiana averages 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks 29th in the nation. Youngstown State ranks 132nd in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- The Hoosiers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.0, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Penguins have scored an average of 66.0 points per game (11.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 86.8 points per game (2.3 above their season average).