The Youngstown State Penguins (2-10), who are currently on an eight-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they head to Wolstein Center to clash against the Cleveland State Vikings (3-10). Cleveland State opened as an 8-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 154 points. Action begins at 1 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018.
Youngstown State Penguins at Cleveland State Vikings Betting Preview
The Penguins lost big to the Indiana Hoosiers in their last contest, 79-51. With 10 points on 3-for-7 shooting, Naz Bohannon was Youngstown State’s leading scorer. One of Indiana’s largest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They had 27 free throw attempts, while Youngstown State had just 14.
The last time the Vikings played, they were blown out by the No. 2 Michigan State Spartans, 111-61. Bobby Word was the games leading scorer with 26 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Michigan State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 62.5 (above their season average of 39.2). Cleveland State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 18.4).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Cleveland State. Cleveland State ranks 235th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.9 percent), while the disruptive defense of Youngstown State forces the 33rd-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.3 percent). Also, the Penguins, who rank 39th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.2 percent), will face off against the Vikings, who rank 337th in defensive rebounding percentage (63.8 percent).
Neither team has shown a tendency in terms of going over or under the O/U total. The Vikings come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 3-10 SU and 5-5 ATS, while the Penguins are 2-10 SU and 2-8 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Penguins won two out of three games last season. In the most recent matchup, Youngstown State won 84-69. Youngstown State’s 0.281 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Cleveland State, who had a rate of 0.162.
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Cleveland State Vikings Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cleveland State, ATS Winner – Cleveland State, O/U – Over
- The Penguins rank 98th in assists per game (14.8) while the Vikings rank 177th in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- Cleveland State ranks 128th in blocks per game (3.1) while Youngstown State ranks 134th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Cleveland State is 1-1 ATS at home, while Youngstown State is 2-8 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 1 of the Vikings 2 home games, while 5 of the Penguins 10 road games have gone over.
- Youngstown State ranks 40th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while Cleveland State ranks 219th (24.7).
- The Penguins rank 89th in rebounds per game (37.8) while the Vikings rank 262nd (30.0).
- Cleveland State ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Youngstown State ranks 155th (7.3).
- Cleveland State is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Youngstown State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Vikings average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 7.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Penguins have scored an average of 65.6 points per game (9.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 86.4 points per game (2.4 above their season average).