The St. John’s Red Storm (10-12, 0-10 Big East), who are currently on a 10-game skid, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the No. 6 Xavier Musketeers (19-3, 7-2 Big East) to Carnesecca Arena. Xavier is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 152.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Xavier Musketeers vs. St. John’s Red Storm Odds Preview
In the Musketeers last contest, they dismantled the Marquette Golden Eagles, 89-70. With 13 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, Trevon Bluiett had a good performance for Xavier. Xavier played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 15.6) and a free throw rate of 0.190 (matching their season average). Marquette was 15.7 and 0.136, respectively, for those same stats.
The Red Storm are hoping for a better outcome after their 70-45 loss to the Butler Bulldogs in their last game. Tariq Owens led St. John’s in scoring with 13 points on 6-for-8 shooting. Butler’s 0.255 free throw rate was their largest advantage over St. John’s, who had a rate of 0.145. The Bulldogs mark was above their season average of 0.203, while the Red Storm’s was below their season average of 0.222.
St. John’s should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. St. John’s ranks 25th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.0 percent), while Xavier forces the 23rd-fewest turnovers (16.2 percent). Also, the Musketeers rank 11th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.307), while the Red Storm rank 253rd in opponents FTA rate (0.257).
Of Xavier’s 21 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished over the O/U total, while 11 of St. John’s 18 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Musketeers have a significant advantage. They are 19-3 SU and 15-7 ATS, while the Red Storm are 10-12 SU and 8-11-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 170 points, well over the projected point total of 155. The Musketeers won 88-82, but were unable to cover as 12-point favorites. The Musketeers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 and a free throw rate of 0.211. The Red Storm recorded marks of 12.1 and 0.109, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Justin Simon was the games leading scorer with 28 points.
Xavier Musketeers at St. John’s Red Storm Betting Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Xavier, ATS Winner – Xavier, O/U – Under
- The Red Storm rank 10th in blocks per game (6.0) while the Musketeers rank 148th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- St. John’s ranks 148th in three pointers attempted per game (21.9) while Xavier ranks 256th in three pointers allowed per game (25.5).
- On the road, Xavier is 5-3 ATS with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- St. John’s is 4-4-1 ATS at home with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Xavier ranks 31st in rebounds allowed per game (31.5) while St. John’s ranks 271st (40.3).
- The Musketeers rank 10th in assists per game (17.7) while the Red Storm rank 173rd (13.0).
- St. John’s averages 9.0 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the NCAA. Xavier ranks 148th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- St. John’s is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Xavier is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Red Storm have been outscored by an average of 9.4 points in their last five games. On the season, St. John’s has defeated opponents by an average of 1.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Musketeers have scored an average of 81.4 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.0 points per game (2.2 above their season average).