The No. 5 Xavier Musketeers (21-3, 9-2 Big East) put their six-game winning streak on the line when they clash against the Butler Bulldogs (17-7, 7-4 Big East) at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Butler is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 155 points. Action begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
Xavier Musketeers at Butler Bulldogs Betting Preview
In the Musketeers last matchup, they defeated the Georgetown Hoyas, 96-91. Trevon Bluiett was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Xavier dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.307) and a turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 15.6). Georgetown recorded marks of 0.189 and 10.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulldogs hope to maintain momentum after blowing out the DePaul Blue Demons in their last matchup, 80-57. With 26 points on 7-for-13 shooting, Kelan Martin was the top scorer from either team. The Bulldogs forced 23 turnovers and held the Blue Demons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.413 (below their season average of 0.477).
This battle figures to be a shootout as two of the NCAA’s premier offenses face off. Butler currently ranks 55th with 112.6 points per 100 possessions and Xavier is 13th (117.5). ,
Of Xavier’s 23 games that accepted bets, 12 have finished over the O/U total, while 13 of Butler’s 23 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Musketeers have a significant advantage. They are 21-3 SU and 16-8 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 17-7 SU and 13-10 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 165 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 156. The Musketeers won 86-79, covering as 7-point favorites. The Musketeers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.400 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.517. For those same stats, the Bulldogs were 0.075 and 0.456, respectively. Despite the loss, Kamar Baldwin was the games leading scorer with 28 points.
Xavier Musketeers vs. Butler Bulldogs Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Xavier, ATS Winner – Xavier, O/U – Under
- The Musketeers rank 15th in assists per game (17.3) while the Bulldogs rank 100th in assists allowed per game (12.6).
- Butler averages 3.3 blocks per game, which ranks 115th in the NCAA. Xavier ranks 152nd in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- On the road, Xavier is 6-3 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Butler is 10-2 ATS with 9 overs and 3 unders.
- Butler ranks 107th in three pointers allowed per game (21.0) while Xavier ranks 267th (25.8).
- The Bulldogs rank 36th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Musketeers rank 173rd (7.0).
- Xavier ranks 39th in rebounds per game (39.0) while Butler ranks 168th (35.0).
- Butler is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Xavier is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 9.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Musketeers have scored an average of 83.8 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.0 points per game (1.6 above their season average).