A high-scoring game should be expected when the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels (17-7, 6-5 MWC) and the Wyoming Cowboys (16-8, 7-4 MWC) clash at Thomas & Mack Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Wyoming Cowboys vs. UNLV Runnin’ Rebels Free Preview
In the Cowboys’ last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Utah State Aggies, 83-65. Hayden Dalton was the games high scorer with 27 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Wyoming played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.2 (below their season average of 19.4) and a turnover percentage of 11.7 (better than their season average of 16.7). Utah State was 9.7 and 18.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The Runnin’ Rebels will look to maintain momentum after beating the No. 23 Nevada Wolf Pack in their last outing, 86-78. UNLV received a boost from Jovan Mooring, who was the games leading scorer with 31 points on 11-for-20 shooting. The Runnin’ Rebels held the Wolf Pack to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (below the 31.7 mark opponents have averaged against UNLV this season) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.441 (below their season average of 0.553).
There could be a fair amount of transition action in this battle that showcases two of the nations more up-and-down teams. UNLV currently ranks 17th in possessions per game (74.9) and Wyoming is seventh (77.1). Moreover, the Cowboys rank third in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.321), while the Runnin’ Rebels rank 38th in opponents FTA rate (0.190).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Cowboys won 66-65. Wyoming had a better effective field goal percentage (0.508 vs. 0.421). UNLV, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (38.6 vs. 16.7).
Wyoming Cowboys vs. UNLV Runnin’ Rebels Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – UNLV, ATS Winner – UNLV, O/U – Over
- The Cowboys rank 110th in steals per game (6.3) while the Runnin’ Rebels rank 130th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Wyoming is 30th in the NCAA with 2.5 blocks allowed per game while UNLV is 43rd with 2.7 blocks allowed per game.
- UNLV ranks 16th in rebounds per game (40.1) while Wyoming ranks 285th in rebounds allowed per game (39.6).
- The Cowboys rank 36th in three pointers attempted per game (26.1) while the Runnin’ Rebels rank 284th (16.8).
- UNLV ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (11.1) while Wyoming ranks 164th (13.9).
- The Runnin’ Rebels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, down from 10.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cowboys have scored an average of 86.0 points per game (6.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.0 points per game (6.2 above their season average).