The VMI Keydets (6-12, 1-6 SoCon) will try to snap the six-game winning streak of Wofford when they welcome the Terriers (14-5, 5-1 SoCon) to Cameron Hall. Wofford is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Wofford Terriers vs. VMI Keydets Betting Preview
The Terriers beat the Chattanooga Mocs in their last matchup, 71-67. Fletcher Magee was the games leading scorer with 26 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Wofford played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 25.0) and a free throw rate of 0.241 (above their season average of 0.215). For those same stats, Chattanooga was 26.7 and 0.204, respectively.
The last time the Keydets played, they topped the Citadel Bulldogs, 88-81. With 24 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Bubba Parham led VMI in scoring. VMI made 14 of their 31 three pointers (45.2 percent). Citadel, on the other hand, was 7-29 (24.1 percent).
Second-chance opportunities could be scarce for VMI in this contest. The Keydets are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 298th in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.8 percent. Meanwhile, Wofford ranks 35th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.3 percent.
Of Wofford’s 13 games that accepted bets, six have finished over the O/U total, while 8 of VMI’s 11 games have finished under the projected point total. The Terriers have the better straight up (SU) record (14-5 vs. 6-12), but the Keydets have the better against the spread (ATS) record (6-5 vs. 6-6-1).
Parham has been playing at a high level over the last five games for VMI, averaging 16.8 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 145 points, which was over the projected point total of 139. The Terriers won 92-53, covering as 15-point favorites. The Terriers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.7 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 28.0. The Keydets had marks of 27.1 and 18.2, respectively, for those same stats. Magee scored a game-high 25 points.
Wofford Terriers at VMI Keydets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wofford, ATS Winner – Wofford, O/U – Under
- The Terriers average 15.8 assists per game, which ranks 51st in the nation. The Keydets rank 112th in assists allowed per game (13.2).
- Wofford ranks 35th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while VMI ranks 73rd (3.1).
- On the road, Wofford is 3-3 ATS with 3 overs, 2 pushes and 1 under.
- At home, VMI is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- Wofford ranks 28th in rebounds allowed per game (31.2) while VMI ranks 195th (36.5).
- The Terriers rank 55th in three pointers attempted per game (25.1) while the Keydets rank 134th in three pointers allowed per game (21.8).
- Wofford ranks 86th in steals per game (6.7) while VMI ranks 161st in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- VMI is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wofford is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Keydets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 7.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Terriers have scored an average of 83.0 points per game (4.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (4.8 above their season average).