SoCon foes will battle when the Citadel Bulldogs (7-14, 2-7 SoCon) meet the Wofford Terriers (16-6, 7-2 SoCon) at McAlister Field House. Wofford is a 7-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 170 points. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
Wofford Terriers vs. Citadel Bulldogs Free Preview
In the Terriers’ last matchup, they beat the Western Carolina Catamounts, 77-68. With 17 points, Trevor Stumpe played well for Wofford. The Terriers had a superb turnover percentage of 9.0 (better than their season average of 17.0) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.6 (above their season average of 25.6).
The Bulldogs are trying to rebound after their 73-71 loss to the East Tennessee State Buccaneers in their last matchup. Zane Najdawi was Citadel’s leading scorer with 18 points on 5-for-15 shooting. East Tennessee State held the Bulldogs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.6 (below their season average of 27.3). Citadel, meanwhile, held the Buccaneers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.377 (below their season average of 0.546).
This contest should be a showdown of opposite tempos. Citadel prefers an up-tempo style of play (second in possessions per game), while Wofford is slower-paced (266th in possessions per game). Furthermore, the 38th-ranked offense of the Terriers (offensive efficiency of 113.7) will go head-to-head against the 309th-ranked defense of the Bulldogs (defensive efficiency of 109.7).
Of Wofford’s 16 games with betting action, seven have finished over the O/U total, while 8 of Citadel’s 14 games have finished over the O/U total. The Terriers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-6 SU and 7-8-1 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 7-14 SU and 6-7-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 201 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 166.5. The Terriers won 109-92, covering as 17-point favorites. The Terriers played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.468 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.645. The Bulldogs recorded marks of 0.253 and 0.487, respectively, for those same stats. Cameron Jackson recorded a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds.
Wofford Terriers vs. Citadel Bulldogs ATS Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Wofford, ATS Winner – Wofford, O/U – Under
- The Terriers rank 41st in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Bulldogs rank 176th (4.8).
- Wofford averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 80th in the NCAA. Citadel ranks 182nd in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- Citadel is 3-3 ATS at home, while Wofford is 4-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Bulldogs’ 6 home games, while 3 of the Terriers’ 7 road games have gone over.
- Wofford ranks 30th in rebounds allowed per game (31.5) while Citadel ranks 288th (44.9).
- The Terriers rank 50th in three pointers attempted per game (25.5) while the Bulldogs rank 276th in three pointers allowed per game (29.4).
- Wofford averages 15.7 assists per game, which ranks 59th in the NCAA. Citadel ranks 255th in assists allowed per game (20.3).
- Citadel is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wofford is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulldogs’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, down from 5.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Terriers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (1.0 below their season average).