The No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers (17-2, 6-0 Big 10) welcome the Wisconsin Badgers (9-9, 2-3 Big 10) to Mackey Arena. The Boilermakers will attempt to prolong their 13-game winning streak. Purdue is a 15.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 133.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Wisconsin Badgers vs. Purdue Boilermakers Free Preview
The last time the Badgers played, they were beaten by the Nebraska Cornhuskers, 63-59. With 19 points on 9-for-15 shooting, Ethan Happ was the top scorer from either team. Nebraska did a fantastic job of making free throws (21-28; 75.0 percent). Wisconsin, meanwhile, forced the Cornhuskers into a turnover percentage of 18.0 (above their season average of 14.4).
The Boilermakers will look to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the Minnesota Golden Gophers in their last game, 81-47. Purdue rallied around Vincent Edwards, who was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 9-for-14 shooting. The Boilermakers held the Golden Gophers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.3 (below their season average of 34.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.322 (below their season average of 0.505).
Purdue should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Boilermakers rank seventh in offensive efficiency, while the Badgers rank 146th in defensive efficiency.
Of Wisconsin’s 17 games with betting action, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 8 of Purdue’s 18 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Boilermakers have a substantial advantage. They are 17-2 SU and 12-6 ATS, while the Badgers are 9-9 SU and 6-11 ATS.
Happ has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Wisconsin, averaging 17.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Boilermakers won the lone game last season, 66-55. The Boilermakers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.239 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.598. For those same stats, the Badgers were 0.119 and 0.407, respectively.
Wisconsin Badgers at Purdue Boilermakers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Wisconsin, O/U – Under
- The Boilermakers rank 12th in blocks per game (5.9) while the Badgers rank 120th (3.2).
- On the road, Wisconsin is 1-6 ATS with 6 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Purdue is 7-3 ATS with 5 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- Purdue ranks 52nd in rebounds per game (38.6) while Wisconsin ranks 265th (31.6).
- The Boilermakers rank 15th in assists per game (17.9) while the Badgers rank 178th (12.8).
- Wisconsin ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (15.1) while Purdue ranks 117th (21.5).
- Purdue is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wisconsin is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Boilermakers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 22.0, down from 22.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Badgers have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (2.7 below their season average).