The Wisconsin Badgers (10-11, 3-5 Big 10) look to put an end to a five-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head against the No. 9 Michigan State Spartans (18-3, 6-2 Big 10) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 132 points with Michigan State opening as a 16.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 26, 2018.
Wisconsin Badgers at Michigan State Spartans Odds Preview
The Badgers were blown out by the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last outing, 85-67. Ethan Happ put together a solid performance for Wisconsin, leading both teams in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Iowa did a terrific job of making free throws (17-22; 77.3 percent). Wisconsin, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.3 vs. 13.6).
In the Spartans last game, they defeated the Illinois Fighting Illini, 87-74. Jaren Jackson Jr. was a key piece for Michigan State with 21 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks. Michigan State played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.523 (above their season average of 0.270) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 60.0 (above their season average of 37.8). For those same stats, Illinois was 0.154 and 24.3, respectively.
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the nations top rebounding teams battle. The Spartans rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (38.3 percent), while Wisconsin ranks 53rd in defensive rebounding percentage (74.5 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Wisconsin games have finished under 55.0 percent of the time, while games involving Michigan State have finished over 57.9 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Spartans have a sizable advantage. They are 18-3 SU and 13-8 ATS, while the Badgers are 10-11 SU and 7-13 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Spartans won the sole game last season, 84-74. Michigan State did a fantastic job of making free throws (21-23; 91.3 percent). Wisconsin, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (9.5 vs. 13.6).
Wisconsin Badgers at Michigan State Spartans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Wisconsin, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank first in blocks per game (8.0) while the Badgers rank 109th (3.4).
- On the road, Wisconsin is 1-8 ATS with 7 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- At home, Michigan State is 9-4 ATS with 8 overs and 3 unders.
- Michigan State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (42.3) while Wisconsin ranks 274th (31.6).
- The Spartans rank first in assists per game (21.0) while the Badgers rank 183rd (12.9).
- Wisconsin ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (15.5) while Michigan State ranks 170th (22.7).
- Michigan State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wisconsin is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, down from 21.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Badgers have scored an average of 62.2 points per game (6.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (2.2 above their season average).