Big 10 foes will collide when the Iowa Hawkeyes (10-11, 1-7 Big 10) take on the Wisconsin Badgers (10-10, 3-4 Big 10) at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Iowa opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
Wisconsin Badgers vs. Iowa Hawkeyes ATS Preview
The last time the Badgers played, they won big over the Illinois Fighting Illini, 75-50. With 16 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ put together a good performance. Wisconsin dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.224) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.524). For those same stats, Illinois was 0.053 and 0.412, respectively.
The Hawkeyes are hoping for a better outcome after their 87-64 loss to the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers in their last game. Luka Garza was Iowa’s leading scorer with 19 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Purdue was lights out from beyond the arc (20-33; 60.6 percent). Iowa, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.102 vs. 0.017).
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Hawkeyes rank 31st in offensive rebounding percentage (35.1 percent), while Wisconsin ranks 49th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.8 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Wisconsin games have finished under 57.9 percent of the time, while games including Iowa have gone over 64.7 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (10-10 for Wisconsin; 10-11 for Iowa), but the Badgers have the edge against the spread (ATS). Wisconsin is 7-12 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 6-9-2.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Hawkeyes won the only game last season, 59-57. The Hawkeyes played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 31.0 and a free throw rate of 0.113. For those same stats, the Badgers were 20.0 and 0.093, respectively.
Wisconsin Badgers at Iowa Hawkeyes Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wisconsin, ATS Winner – Wisconsin, O/U – Under
- The Hawkeyes rank 38th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Badgers rank 101st (3.5).
- Wisconsin is 1-7 ATS on the road, while Iowa is 2-3-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Hawkeyes 6 home games, while 7 of the Badgers 8 road games have gone under.
- Iowa ranks 31st in rebounds per game (39.6) while Wisconsin ranks 284th (31.6).
- The Badgers rank 43rd in assists allowed per game (11.6) while the Hawkeyes rank 221st (15.6).
- Wisconsin ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (15.3) while Iowa ranks 180th (23.0).
- Iowa is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wisconsin is 2-3 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Hawkeyes have been outscored by an average of 12.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Iowa has defeated opponents by an average of 3.4 points.