The Winthrop Eagles (13-8, 7-3 BigSou) will attempt to lengthen their six-game winning streak against the Liberty Flames (13-10, 4-6 BigSou) at Vines Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
Winthrop Eagles vs. Liberty Flames Betting Preview
The last time the Eagles played, they beat the Campbell Fighting Camels, 75-64. Xavier Cooks led Winthrop in scoring with 21 points on 10-for-20 shooting. Winthrop dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.580 (above their season average of 0.563) and a free throw rate of 0.179 (below their season average of 0.241). Campbell had marks of 0.458 and 0.150, respectively, for those same stats.
The Flames will look to keep it rolling after beating the Presbyterian Blue Hose in their last game, 81-66. With 21 points on 6-for-9 shooting, Ryan Kemrite led Liberty in scoring. Liberty dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.255 (below their season average of 0.290) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.734 (above their season average of 0.524). For those same stats, Presbyterian was 0.167 and 0.528, respectively.
The aggressive Liberty offense could be living from the foul line in this matchup. The Flames rank 35th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.288, while Winthrop ranks 221st in FTA rate allowed (0.246). Also, the 46th-ranked offense of the Eagles (offensive efficiency of 113.2) will square off against the 39th-ranked defense of the Flames (defensive efficiency of 96.2).
Cooks has been impressive over the last five games for Winthrop, averaging 18.4 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Flames won 73-70. Liberty won the rebounding battle. The Flames had more offensive rebounds (13 vs. four) and total rebounds (37 vs. 29). Despite the loss, Adam Pickett was the game’s leading scorer with 21 points.
Winthrop Eagles at Liberty Flames ATS Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Winthrop, ATS Winner – Winthrop, O/U – Over
- The Flames allow the 12th-fewest blocks per game (2.3) while the Eagles rank 36th (2.6).
- Winthrop ranks 44th in assists allowed per game (11.5) while Liberty ranks 61st (12.0).
- Winthrop averages 26.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 40th in the nation. Liberty ranks 222nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- The Flames rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (29.5) while the Eagles rank 174th (35.9).
- Liberty averages 6.3 steals per game, which ranks 116th in the nation. Winthrop ranks 150th in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- The Flames have been outscored by an average of 4.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Liberty has defeated opponents by an average of 8.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 85.2 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (6.1 below their season average).