BigSou foes will battle when the Radford Highlanders (7-6, 1-0 BigSou) square off with the Winthrop Eagles (7-5, 1-0 BigSou) at Dedmon Center. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Winthrop Eagles at Radford Highlanders Odds Preview
The Eagles were victorious over the High Point Panthers in their last game, 76-60. With 14 points and seven rebounds, Winthrop’s Bjorn Broman had a good performance. Winthrop played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.458 (above their season average of 0.213) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.563 (above their season average of 0.554). For those same stats, High Point recorded marks of 0.254 and 0.349, respectively.
In the Highlanders last game, they topped the Presbyterian Blue Hose, 78-62. With 24 points on 9-for-15 shooting, Ed Polite Jr. was the games leading scorer. The Highlanders held the Blue Hose to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.9 (below their season average of 27.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.621 (above their season average of 0.477).
The offensive glass could be a huge advantage for Radford in this matchup. The Highlanders are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 50th in offensive rebounding percentage at 34.9 percent. Meanwhile, Winthrop ranks 260th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 69.0 percent. Opposite styles will be on display in this meeting. The up-and-down Eagles rank 16th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Highlanders rank 342nd.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Eagles won the last contest 81-65. Winthrop had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.600 vs. 0.375). Radford, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.7 vs. 10.3).
Winthrop Eagles vs. Radford Highlanders Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Winthrop, ATS Winner – Winthrop, O/U – Under
- The Eagles average 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. The Highlanders rank 111th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Winthrop ranks 86th in assists per game (15.2) while Radford ranks 101st in assists allowed per game (12.8).
- Radford ranks 76th in rebounds allowed per game (33.4) while Winthrop ranks 230th (39.1).
- The Eagles rank 27th in steals per game (8.3) while the Highlanders rank 167th (5.2).
- Winthrop ranks 28th in three pointers attempted per game (26.8) while Radford ranks 155th in three pointers allowed per game (22.5).
- The Highlanders average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 0.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 81.6 points per game (3.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average).