BigSou foes will collide when the Charleston Southern Buccaneers (6-9, 1-3 BigSou) meet the Winthrop Eagles (7-8, 1-3 BigSou) at Buccaneer Fieldhouse. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Winthrop Eagles at Charleston Southern Buccaneers Odds Preview
The Eagles lost a close one to the Liberty Flames in their last contest, 73-70. Adam Pickett had a solid game for Winthrop, leading both teams in scoring with 21 points on 6-for-7 shooting. Liberty had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9 (above their season average of 26.1). Winthrop, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (19-24; 79.2 percent).
In the Buccaneers last game, they were defeated by the Radford Highlanders, 64-61. Phlandrous Fleming Jr. was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Radford did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (17-20; 85.0 percent). Charleston Southern, on the other hand, held the Highlanders to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.7 (below their season average of 35.0).
The offensive glass should be a huge edge for Charleston Southern in this contest. The Buccaneers rank 36th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.1 percent), while Winthrop ranks 269th in defensive rebounding percentage (68.9 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Eagles won all three meetings last season. In the last contest, Winthrop won 92-78. Winthrop had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.4 vs. 17.1). Charleston Southern, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.386 vs. 0.230).
Winthrop Eagles vs. Charleston Southern Buccaneers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Charleston Southern, ATS Winner – Charleston Southern, O/U – Under
- The Eagles average 15.1 assists per game, which ranks 77th in the NCAA. The Buccaneers rank 133rd in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- Winthrop ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Charleston Southern ranks 53rd (2.9).
- Winthrop averages 26.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 36th in the nation. Charleston Southern ranks 241st in three pointers allowed per game (25.7).
- The Buccaneers rank 43rd in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while the Eagles rank 238th (38.7).
- Charleston Southern ranks 28th in steals per game (8.2) while Winthrop ranks 140th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- The Buccaneers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 71.4 points per game (11.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.0 points per game (1.5 below their season average).