The Alabama State Hornets (0-9) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first victory when they challenge the Winthrop Eagles (5-4) at Dunn-Oliver Acadome. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
Winthrop Eagles at Alabama State Hornets ATS Preview
In the Eagles last outing, they fell to the Georgia Bulldogs, 87-82. Winthrop’s Xavier Cooks had a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 31 points on 11-for-24 shooting. Georgia had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 33.9). Winthrop, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (10.5 vs. 19.3).
The Hornets are hoping for a better outcome after their 64-45 loss to the Tennessee State Tigers in their last contest. With eight points and seven rebounds, Rodney Simeon played well for Alabama State. Tennessee State did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (31-39; 79.5 percent). Alabama State, meanwhile, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.2 (below their season average of 25.8).
Alabama State might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Dating back to last season, Winthrop ranks 89th in defensive efficiency while the Hornets rank 337th in offensive efficiency.
Winthrop Eagles at Alabama State Hornets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Winthrop, ATS Winner – Winthrop, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Eagles average 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 76th in the NCAA. The Hornets rank 181st in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Winthrop ranks 38th in blocks per game (4.8) while Alabama State ranks 127th (3.1).
- Winthrop ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (10.5) while Alabama State ranks 144th (13.8).
- The Eagles rank 103rd in rebounds per game (37.3) while the Hornets rank 233rd in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- Winthrop ranks 40th in three pointers attempted per game (26.0) while Alabama State ranks 157th (21.3).