CAA foes will collide when the James Madison Dukes (4-9, 0-1 CAA) challenge the William & Mary Tribe (8-4, 1-0 CAA) at JMU Convocation Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 160.5 points with James Madison set as a 1.5-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
William & Mary Tribe vs. James Madison Dukes ATS Preview
In the Tribe’s last matchup, they won a close one over the Hofstra Pride, 90-87. Nathan Knight led William & Mary in scoring with 31 points on 13-for-21 shooting. The Tribe made 20 of their 25 free throws (80.0 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.603 vs. 0.507).
The Dukes are trying to rebound after their 81-70 loss to the Northeastern Huskies in their last outing. Stuckey Mosley led James Madison in scoring with 18 points on 7-for-20 shooting. Northeastern did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (25-32; 78.1 percent). James Madison, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 16.4).
William & Mary could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-octane offense squares off against one of the nations worst defenses. The Tribe rank 15th in offensive efficiency, while James Madison ranks 264th in defensive efficiency.
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving William & Mary have gone under 57.1 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of James Madison games have gone over. The Tribe come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-4 SU and 6-1 ATS, while the Dukes are 4-9 SU and 5-7 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Dukes won 95-92. James Madison did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (26-36; 72.2 percent). William & Mary, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.6 vs. 12.5).
William & Mary Tribe vs. James Madison Dukes Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – William & Mary, ATS Winner – William & Mary, O/U – Under
- The Dukes average 8.5 steals per game, which ranks 22nd in the nation. The Tribe rank 127th in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- James Madison is 2-3 ATS at home, while William & Mary is 3-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Dukes 5 home games, while 4 of the Tribe’s 4 road games have gone under.
- William & Mary ranks eighth in assists per game (19.2) while James Madison ranks 184th (12.5).
- The Tribe average 25.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 53rd in the nation. The Dukes rank 180th in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- William & Mary ranks 22nd in blocks per game (5.7) while James Madison ranks 148th (2.8).
- James Madison is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, William & Mary is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Dukes average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 1.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tribe have scored an average of 86.0 points per game (1.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 81.8 points per game (0.1 above their season average).