The Tulsa Golden Hurricane (10-7, 3-2 AAC) will attempt to put an end to the six-game winning streak of Wichita State when they welcome the No. 5 Shockers (14-2, 4-0 AAC) to Donald Reynolds Center. Wichita State is a 12-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 146.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Wichita State Shockers vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Odds Preview
The last time the Shockers played, they had no trouble getting past the East Carolina Pirates, 95-60. With 11 points and 11 assists, Wichita State’s Landry Shamet had a solid performance. Wichita State played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (below their season average of 34.6) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.664 (above their season average of 0.569). East Carolina recorded marks of 20.5 and 0.431, respectively, for those same stats.
The Golden Hurricane are trying to rebound after their 104-71 loss to the Houston Cougars in their last matchup. Martins Igbanu led Tulsa in scoring with 27 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Houston made 18 of their 34 three pointers (52.9 percent). Tulsa, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (22-30; 73.3 percent).
It could be a difficult game for Tulsa on the offensive glass. The Golden Hurricane are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 136th in offensive rebounding percentage at 30.9 percent. Meanwhile, Wichita State ranks 14th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 77.0 percent.
Of Wichita State’s 14 games that accepted bets, seven have finished over the projected point total, while 9 of Tulsa’s 14 games have finished over the O/U total. The Shockers have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (14-2 vs. 10-7), but the Golden Hurricane have been superior against the spread (ATS) (8-6 vs. 7-7).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Shockers won the only contest played against each other last season, 80-53. The Shockers dominated every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 and a great free throw rate of 0.317. For those same stats, the Golden Hurricane were 11.9 and 0.204, respectively.
Wichita State Shockers vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – Wichita State, O/U – Over
- The Shockers rank 41st in blocks per game (4.6) while the Golden Hurricane rank 174th (2.1).
- Tulsa is 3-2 ATS at home, while Wichita State is 4-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Golden Hurricane’s 5 home games, while 5 of the Shockers 7 road games have gone under.
- Wichita State ranks fifth in assists per game (19.4) while Tulsa ranks 181st (12.4).
- The Shockers rank 95th in three pointers attempted per game (23.6) while the Golden Hurricane rank 262nd in three pointers allowed per game (27.4).
- Wichita State ranks sixth in rebounds per game (42.0) while Tulsa ranks 162nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.9).
- Tulsa is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wichita State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Golden Hurricane have been outscored by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Tulsa has defeated opponents by an average of 1.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Shockers have scored an average of 83.6 points per game (2.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.4 points per game (6.8 below their season average).