The No. 13 Wichita State Shockers (22-5, 12-3 AAC) put their five-game winning streak on the line when they challenge the SMU Mustangs (16-12, 6-9 AAC) at Moody Coliseum. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Wichita State Shockers at SMU Mustangs Odds Preview
The last time the Shockers played, they defeated the Tulane Green Wave, 93-86. Shaquille Morris was the games leading scorer with 25 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Wichita State played a nearly perfect game. They had a great turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 14.3) and a free throw rate of 0.349 (above their season average of 0.248). For those same stats, Tulane had marks of 15.8 and 0.210, respectively.
The Mustangs will look to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the East Carolina Pirates in their last contest, 77-58. With 20 points on 7-for-17 shooting, Jahmal McMurray led SMU in scoring. SMU dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.560 (above their season average of 0.526) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5 (above their season average of 33.5). East Carolina was 0.414 and 26.3, respectively, for those same stats.
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Mustangs currently rank 51st in offensive rebounding percentage (33.5 percent), while Wichita State ranks 13th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.1 percent). Additionally, the Shockers rank sixth in offensive efficiency (120.2), while the Mustangs rank 55th in defensive efficiency (98.3).
These teams have already met once this season. The Mustangs won 83-78. SMU’s 0.255 free throw rate was their biggest strength over Wichita State, who had a rate of 0.125. Shake Milton was the games leading scorer with 33 points.
Wichita State Shockers vs. SMU Mustangs Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – Wichita State, O/U – Under
- The Shockers average 24.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 82nd in the nation. The Mustangs rank 211th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- Wichita State averages 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 58th in the NCAA. SMU ranks 99th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- SMU ranks 40th in steals per game (7.5) while Wichita State ranks 235th (4.8).
- The Shockers rank seventh in rebounds per game (40.9) while the Mustangs rank 198th (34.2).
- Wichita State averages 18.9 assists per game, which ranks third in the nation. SMU ranks 176th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- The Mustangs have been outscored by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. On the season, SMU has defeated opponents by an average of 7.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Shockers have scored an average of 88.4 points per game (4.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.6 points per game (5.7 above their season average).