AAC foes will collide when the Temple Owls (11-10, 3-6 AAC) take on the No. 16 Wichita State Shockers (17-4, 7-2 AAC) at Liacouras Center. Wichita State is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 144 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Wichita State Shockers at Temple Owls Betting Preview
In the Shockers’ last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 90-71. Austin Reaves was Wichita State’s leading scorer with 23 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Wichita State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 14.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.5 (above their season average of 34.6). For those same stats, Tulsa was 18.1 and 28.2, respectively.
The Owls come in on a high note after blowing out the Connecticut Huskies in their last game, 85-57. With 18 points on 6-for-12 shooting, Shizz Alston Jr. was the top scorer from either team. Temple played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 6.5 (better than their season average of 15.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.477). Connecticut was 21.9 and 0.441, respectively, for those same stats.
The inefficient offense of Temple (265th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 101.6) will square off against the top-notch defense of Wichita State (54th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 97.2). The Shockers figure to have the edge on that end of the court. Also, the Shockers rank 31st in offensive rebounding percentage (34.9 percent), while the Owls rank 326th in defensive rebounding percentage (66.1 percent).
Of Wichita State’s 19 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished over the projected point total, while 11 of Temple’s 21 games have finished under the O/U total. The Shockers hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (17-4 vs. 11-10), but the Owls have been superior against the spread (ATS) (10-11 vs. 9-10).
Wichita State Shockers at Temple Owls Free Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – Wichita State, O/U – Over
- The Shockers rank 38th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Owls rank 94th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Temple averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 81st in the NCAA. Wichita State ranks 88th in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- Wichita State ranks fifth in rebounds per game (41.9) while Temple ranks 235th in rebounds allowed per game (37.8).
- The Shockers rank third in assists per game (19.1) while the Owls rank 203rd (12.4).
- Temple ranks 105th in three pointers attempted per game (23.2) while Wichita State ranks 224th in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- The Owls have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Temple has been defeated by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Shockers have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (7.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.6 points per game (2.6 above their season average).