MAC foes will battle when the Toledo Rockets (9-6, 1-1 MAC) go head-to-head against the Western Michigan Broncos (10-5, 2-0 MAC) at Savage Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 150 points with Toledo opening as a 5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Western Michigan Broncos vs. Toledo Rockets Odds Preview
In the Broncos last contest, they beat the Miami (OH) RedHawks, 67-62. With 11 points, nine rebounds and five assists, Western Michigan’s Reggie Jones played well. Western Michigan played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 6.6 (better than their season average of 15.1) and a free throw rate of 0.246 (above their season average of 0.240). Miami (OH) was 17.0 and 0.138, respectively, for those same stats.
The Rockets will look to keep it rolling after barely hanging on to beat the Akron Zips in their last game, 67-65. Toledo was lifted by Tre’Shaun Fletcher, who put up 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Rockets had a great free throw rate of 0.304 (above their season average of 0.257) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.576 (above their season average of 0.546).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Toledo should have a considerable edge. The upper-echelon Rockets offense ranks 61st in the nation in that metric at 0.547, while the Western Michigan defense is ranked 183rd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.503). Moreover, the Broncos rank 56th in turnover percentage (16.9 percent), while the Rockets rank 351st in opponents turnover percentage (14.6 percent).
Of Western Michigan’s 12 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of Toledo’s 12 games have finished over the O/U total. The Broncos hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-5 SU and 6-6 ATS, while the Rockets are 9-6 SU and 5-7 ATS.
Jaelan Sanford has been exceptional over the last five games for Toledo, averaging 16.2 points and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Broncos won both games last season. In the last matchup, Western Michigan won 61-56. Western Michigan had a much better turnover percentage (5.2 vs. 17.7). Toledo, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.8 vs. 19.1).
Western Michigan Broncos vs. Toledo Rockets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Western Michigan, ATS Winner – Western Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Broncos average 37.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 102nd in the nation. The Rockets rank 147th in rebounds allowed per game (35.5).
- Toledo averages 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 66th in the nation. Western Michigan ranks 83rd in assists allowed per game (12.6).
- On the road, Western Michigan is 5-3 ATS with 4 unders, 3 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Toledo is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- Toledo ranks 75th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while Western Michigan ranks 238th in three pointers allowed per game (26.0).
- The Broncos rank 25th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Rockets rank 83rd (6.3).
- Western Michigan ranks 35th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Toledo ranks 80th (3.4).
- Toledo is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Western Michigan is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 1.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average).