MAC foes will collide when the Kent State Golden Flashes (8-9, 2-2 MAC) take on the Western Michigan Broncos (11-6, 3-1 MAC) at Memorial A & C Center. Western Michigan opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 146.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Western Michigan Broncos vs. Kent State Golden Flashes Betting Preview
The last time the Broncos played, they were victorious over the Ball State Cardinals, 73-58. Thomas Wilder was the games high scorer with 14 points on 3-for-11 shooting. Western Michigan dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.235) and a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 14.4). Ball State had marks of 0.113 and 20.7, respectively, for those same stats.
The Golden Flashes hope to keep it rolling after edging the Ohio Bobcats in their last matchup, 70-69. With 24 points on 8-for-15 shooting, Kevin Zabo was the games leading scorer. Kent State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7 (below their season average of 34.0) and a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 16.0). Ohio was 17.2 and 19.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Of Western Michigan’s 14 games with betting action, eight have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Kent State’s 12 games have finished over the O/U total. The Broncos hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 11-6 SU and 7-7 ATS, while the Golden Flashes are 8-9 SU and 4-7-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Broncos won the only contest played against each other last season, 92-88. Western Michigan had a much better turnover percentage (9.9 vs. 18.8). Kent State, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.708 vs. 0.611).
Western Michigan Broncos at Kent State Golden Flashes Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Western Michigan, ATS Winner – Western Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Broncos are 21st in the nation with 4.9 steals allowed per game while the Golden Flashes are 30th with 5.1 steals allowed per game.
- Western Michigan is 5-4 ATS on the road, while Kent State is 3-1-1 ATS at home.
- The Broncos have 5 unders, 3 overs and 1 push in 9 road games.
- In 5 home games, the Golden Flashes have 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Kent State ranks 101st in three pointers allowed per game (21.2) while Western Michigan ranks 247th (25.9).
- The Broncos rank 35th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Golden Flashes rank 58th (3.0).
- Western Michigan averages 37.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 98th in the nation. Kent State ranks 116th in rebounds allowed per game (34.5).
- Kent State is 1-2-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Western Michigan is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Golden Flashes have been outscored by an average of 3.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Kent State has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (0.9 below their season average).