MAC foes will clash when the Eastern Michigan Eagles (12-9, 3-5 MAC) meet the Western Michigan Broncos (12-9, 4-4 MAC) at Convocation Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137.5 points with Eastern Michigan opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Western Michigan Broncos at Eastern Michigan Eagles Odds Preview
The last time the Broncos played, they defeated the Northern Illinois Huskies, 79-72. Thomas Wilder was the games leading scorer with 25 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Western Michigan dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.250 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.635 (above their season average of 0.495). Northern Illinois recorded marks of 0.155 and 0.543, respectively, for those same stats.
The Eagles will look to keep it rolling after topping the Miami (OH) RedHawks in their last game, 58-48. Eastern Michigan rallied around James Thompson IV, who had 12 points and 11 rebounds. Eastern Michigan’s 0.539 effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Miami (OH), who had a rate of 0.375. The Eagles mark was above their season average of 0.524, while the RedHawks was below their season average of 0.520.
When considering effective field goal percentage, Eastern Michigan should have a substantial edge. The Eagles defense ranks 91st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.484), while the Western Michigan offense is ranked 215th in effective field goal percentage (0.501). Moreover, the Broncos rank 23rd in turnover percentage (15.8 percent), while the Eagles rank 50th in opponents turnover percentage (22.0 percent).
Of Western Michigan’s 18 games that accepted bets, nine have finished under the O/U total, while 9 of Eastern Michigan’s 15 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (12-9 for Western Michigan; 12-9 for Eastern Michigan), but the Eagles have the edge against the spread (ATS). Eastern Michigan is 8-7 ATS, while the Broncos are 7-10-1.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent contest, the Broncos won 88-80. Western Michigan did a great job of getting and making free throws (24-32; 75.0 percent). Eastern Michigan, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.618 vs. 0.582).
Western Michigan Broncos at Eastern Michigan Eagles Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Western Michigan, ATS Winner – Western Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Broncos average 12.7 assists per game, which ranks 187th in the nation. The Eagles rank 223rd in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- Western Michigan averages 36.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 125th in the NCAA. Eastern Michigan ranks 156th in rebounds allowed per game (35.3).
- Western Michigan is 5-5 ATS on the road with 6 unders, 3 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Eastern Michigan is 4-2 ATS with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Western Michigan ranks 12th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while Eastern Michigan ranks 166th (7.2).
- The Eagles rank ninth in blocks per game (6.0) while the Broncos rank 135th (3.0).
- Eastern Michigan ranks 209th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6) while Western Michigan ranks 257th (25.5).
- Eastern Michigan is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Western Michigan is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Eagles have been outscored by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Eastern Michigan has defeated opponents by an average of 4.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (2.0 above their season average).