CUSA foes will clash when the UTEP Miners (7-14, 2-7 CUSA) take on the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (15-6, 7-1 CUSA) at Don Haskins Center. Western Kentucky is an 11-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 144 points. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers at UTEP Miners Odds Preview
The last time the Hilltoppers played, they were victorious over the Marshall Thundering Herd, 85-74. With 18 points and 13 rebounds, Western Kentucky’s Dwight Coleby had a good game. Western Kentucky played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6 (above their season average of 29.5) and a free throw rate of 0.317 (above their season average of 0.266). Marshall put up marks of 12.8 and 0.188, respectively, for those same stats.
The Miners are trying to rebound after their 81-50 loss to the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in their last matchup. Trey Wade was UTEP’s leading scorer with 14 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Middle Tennessee’s 24.1 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over UTEP, who had a mark of 10.3. The Blue Raiders’ mark was below their season average of 33.0, while the Miners’ was below their season average of 20.3.
UTEP may have trouble getting to the charity stripe in this contest. The Miners currently rank 258th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.217, while Western Kentucky ranks 23rd in FTA rate allowed (0.180).
Of Western Kentucky’s 19 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished under the projected point total, while 9 of UTEP’s 16 games have finished over the O/U total. The Hilltoppers hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 15-6 SU and 13-6 ATS, while the Miners are 7-14 SU and 8-8 ATS.
Coleby has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Western Kentucky, averaging 14.4 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.2 blocks and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Hilltoppers won the only contest last season, 65-62. Western Kentucky had a much better free throw rate (0.291 vs. 0.067). UTEP, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (13.5 vs. 15.6).
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers at UTEP Miners Odds Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Western Kentucky, ATS Winner – Western Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Miners rank second in blocks allowed per game (1.8) while the Hilltoppers rank 133rd (3.9).
- Western Kentucky ranks 135th in assists per game (13.9) while UTEP ranks 251st (10.8).
- Western Kentucky is 7-2 ATS on the road, while UTEP is 4-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Miners’ 8 home games, while 5 of the Hilltoppers’ 9 road games have gone over.
- Western Kentucky ranks 67th in steals per game (7.1) while UTEP ranks 228th (4.0).
- The Hilltoppers rank 109th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0) while the Miners rank 258th (38.8).
- UTEP ranks 155th in three pointers attempted per game (21.8) while Western Kentucky ranks 295th (14.9).
- UTEP is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Western Kentucky is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Miners’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.0, up from 2.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hilltoppers have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (1.6 below their season average).