The South Dakota State Jackrabbits (25-6, 13-1 Summit) and the Western Illinois Leathernecks (12-15, 3-11 Summit) face off in the Summit League Conference Tourney at Denny Sanford PREMIER Center. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. South Dakota State Jackrabbits Free Preview
In the Leathernecks last matchup, they lost big to the Denver Pioneers, 89-52. With 17 points on 7-for-15 shooting, Kobe Webster led Western Illinois in scoring. Denver had a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 19.9). Western Illinois, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (16-22; 72.7 percent).
The Jackrabbits come in on a high note after beating the Fort Wayne Mastodons in their last contest, 97-90. With 31 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Mike Daum was South Dakota State’s leading scorer. The Jackrabbits had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 4.9 (better than their season average of 12.9) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.609 (above their season average of 0.560).
South Dakota State could put on a ball-control clinic in this contest. South Dakota State ranks fourth in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.2 percent), while Western Illinois forces the 46th-fewest turnovers (16.5 percent). Also, the Leathernecks rank 339th in offensive rebounding percentage (21.7 percent), while the Jackrabbits rank 13th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.2 percent).
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Jackrabbits winning both. Daum scored a game-high 30 points in the most recent game, in which the Jackrabbits beat the Leathernecks 82-62. He also put up six rebounds. The Jackrabbits played a flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 5.1 and a great free throw rate of 0.302. The Leathernecks were 10.9 and 0.169, respectively, for those same stats.
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. South Dakota State Jackrabbits Betting Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – South Dakota State, ATS Winner – South Dakota State, O/U – Under
- The Jackrabbits rank 136th in assists per game (13.8) while the Leathernecks rank 258th (11.2).
- Western Illinois is 12th in the NCAA with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while South Dakota State is 16th with 2.4 blocks allowed per game.
- South Dakota State ranks 33rd in three pointers attempted per game (26.3) while Western Illinois ranks 252nd (19.0).
- The Jackrabbits rank 15th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while the Leathernecks rank 151st (6.6).
- South Dakota State ranks 34th in rebounds per game (38.7) while Western Illinois ranks 164th (35.0).
- The Jackrabbits average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.0, down from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Leathernecks have scored an average of 67.6 points per game (4.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 81.2 points per game (9.2 above their season average]