The Western Illinois Leathernecks (11-12, 2-8 Summit) will attempt to put an end to an eight-game road losing streak when they meet the Fort Wayne Mastodons (16-12, 5-6 Summit) at Hilliard Gates Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. Fort Wayne Mastodons Betting Preview
The Leathernecks lost a close one to the Omaha Mavericks in their last game, 71-68. Kobe Webster put together a good performance for Western Illinois, leading the team in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Omaha had a much better free throw rate (0.179 vs. 0.057). Western Illinois, on the other hand, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.613 (above their season average of 0.538).
In the Mastodons last matchup, they were topped by the Omaha Mavericks, 90-85. John Konchar was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Omaha did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (24-33; 72.7 percent). Fort Wayne, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 14.9).
Fort Wayne should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Fort Wayne ranks 52nd in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.8 percent), while Western Illinois forces the 71st-fewest turnovers (17.3 percent).
Konchar has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Fort Wayne, averaging 18.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 3.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Leathernecks won 75-74. Western Illinois had a better effective field goal percentage (0.525 vs. 0.461). Fort Wayne, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (20.5 vs. 13.9). Bryson Scott had a standout performance in the game, producing 17 points and seven rebounds.
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. Fort Wayne Mastodons Free Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Western Illinois, ATS Winner – Western Illinois, O/U – Over
- The Leathernecks allow the fifth-fewest blocks per game (2.1) while the Mastodons rank 18th (2.4).
- Fort Wayne ranks 10th in steals per game (8.6) while Western Illinois ranks 224th (4.9).
- The Mastodons rank 16th in three pointers attempted per game (28.1) while the Leathernecks rank 225th (19.7).
- Western Illinois ranks 161st in rebounds per game (35.4) while Fort Wayne ranks 188th in rebounds allowed per game (35.9).
- The Mastodons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, down from 6.0 for the season.
- uring their last five games, the Leathernecks have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (6.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (1.5 above their season average).