The South Dakota Coyotes (13-4, 1-0 Summit) can continue a five-game home winning streak when they square off against the Western Illinois Leathernecks (8-4) at Sanford Coyote Sports Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. South Dakota Coyotes ATS Preview
The Leathernecks easily got past the Lincoln Christian Red Lions in their last outing, 91-57. With 16 points and 12 rebounds, Western Illinois Brandon Gilbeck had a good performance. Western Illinois dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.603 (above their season average of 0.573) and a turnover percentage of 11.1 (better than their season average of 20.1). Lincoln Christian was 0.365 and 17.8, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Coyotes last game, they beat the Denver Pioneers, 82-71. With 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting, Matt Mooney was the top scorer from either team. South Dakota played a flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.529 (above their season average of 0.268) and a turnover percentage of 14.1 (better than their season average of 15.2). Denver put up marks of 0.150 and 19.7, respectively, for those same stats.
The high-octane offense of South Dakota (46th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 114.6) will battle against the mid-tier defense of Western Illinois (211th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 94.3). The Coyotes figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to go over the O/U total. Western Illinois games have finished over 62.5 percent of the time, while 58.3 percent of South Dakota games have gone over. The Coyotes hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-4 SU and 8-4 ATS, while the Leathernecks are 8-4 SU and 5-3 ATS.
Mooney has taken his game to another level over the last five games for South Dakota, averaging 19.6 points and 2.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Coyotes won all three games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, South Dakota won 78-69. The Coyotes played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.349 and a turnover percentage of 12.7. For those same stats, the Leathernecks were 0.129 and 17.4, respectively.
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. South Dakota Coyotes Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – South Dakota, ATS Winner – Western Illinois, O/U – Over
- The Leathernecks average 21.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 123rd in the nation. The Coyotes rank 158th in three pointers allowed per game (22.6).
- South Dakota averages 14.2 assists per game, which ranks 118th in the NCAA. Western Illinois ranks 133rd in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- On the road, Western Illinois is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- South Dakota is 1-2 ATS at home with 2 overs and 1 under.
- South Dakota ranks 36th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Western Illinois ranks 126th (7.6).
- The Coyotes rank 86th in rebounds per game (37.8) while the Leathernecks rank 154th in rebounds allowed per game (31.6).
- Western Illinois ranks 23rd in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while South Dakota ranks 74th (3.2).
- South Dakota is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Western Illinois is 2-1 ATS with 3 overs.
- The Coyotes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.2, up from 14.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Leathernecks have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.4 points per game (6.4 above their season average).