SoCon foes will battle when the Samford Bulldogs (5-10, 1-1 SoCon) square off with the Western Carolina Catamounts (6-8, 2-0 SoCon) at Pete Hanna Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 148.5 points with Samford set as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Western Carolina Catamounts at Samford Bulldogs Betting Preview
The last time the Catamounts played, they defeated the Chattanooga Mocs, 75-63. Mike Amius was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 12-for-16 shooting. Western Carolina played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 47.2 (above their season average of 30.3) and a free throw rate of 0.242 (above their season average of 0.198). Chattanooga recorded marks of 16.1 and 0.160, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulldogs are trying to rebound after their 90-72 loss to the East Tennessee State Buccaneers in their last game. With 11 points and nine assists, Samfords Josh Sharkey put together a solid outing. East Tennessee State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.716 (above their season average of 0.522). Samford, on the other hand, forced the Buccaneers into a turnover percentage of 21.0 (above their season average of 16.1).
Samford appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Bulldogs rank 88th in effective field goal percentage (0.539), while Western Carolina ranks 329th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.555).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bulldogs won both meetings last season. In the most recent game, Samford won 82-63. The Bulldogs played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.292 and an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.708. The Catamounts recorded marks of 0.119 and 0.475, respectively, for those same stats.
Western Carolina Catamounts at Samford Bulldogs ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Western Carolina, ATS Winner – Western Carolina, O/U – Under
- The Catamounts average 22.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 145th in the nation. The Bulldogs rank 226th in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- Samford averages 15.7 assists per game, which ranks 67th in the NCAA. Western Carolina ranks 221st in assists allowed per game (16.4).
- The Bulldogs rank 87th in rebounds allowed per game (33.7) while the Catamounts rank 235th (39.1).
- Samford averages 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 77th in the nation. Western Carolina ranks 173rd in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- The Bulldogs have outscored opponents by an average of 14.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Samford has been defeated by an average of 3.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Catamounts have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (1.4 below their season average).