The New England Patriots (-2.5) are heading south to visit the Jacksonville Jaguars at EverBank Field. Kickoff for this matchup is scheduled for 4:25 p.m. ET and CBS will broadcast the action.
Betting Preview: New England Patriots vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
In this Sunday AFC game, New England is projected as the favorite and is currently giving up 2.5 points. The Patriots are also receiving -140 moneyline odds while the Jaguars are +120. Oddsmakers have determined the over/under (O/U) to be 45 points, and if one team finds paydirt early, it would probably produce a decent betting opportunity in-game.
The game’s total has shifted downward after originally being set at 45.5. The opening line of 2.5 has remained firm.
The Patriots have gained 1.0 unit so far and are 1-0 against the spread (ATS). The team has posted an Over-Under record of 0-1.
The Jaguars are up 1.0 unit for moneyline bettors this season. They’re 1-0 ATS and also have an O/U record of 0-1.
The Patriots are 1-0 straight up (SU) in 2018 while the Jaguars are also 1-0 SU.
The Pats are hoping to stay unbeaten following a 27-20 win over Houston in Week 1 where Tom Brady completed 26 passes for 277 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. Rex Burkhead (64 rushing yards on 18 attempts) spearheaded the running attack in the win while Rob Gronkowski (seven receptions, 123 yards, one TD) and Phillip Dorsett (seven catches, 66 yards, one TD) shared the receiving duties.
Jacksonville is coming off of a 20-15 win over the Giants in Week 1. The defense let the Giants run for 114 yards on 23 rush attempts, along with one rushing TD. Saquon Barkley had a productive showing in the loss for New York, posting 106 rushing yards and a score on 18 attempts. For Jacksonville, Blake Bortles completed 18-of-33 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown and one interception. T.J. Yeldon (51 rushing yards on 14 attempts) spearheaded the ground game in the win as Dede Westbrook (five receptions, 51 yards) and Keelan Cole (three catches, 54 yards) led the receiving corps..
When these two franchises faced each other a year ago, New England emerged victorious by a final score of 24-20.
New England Patriots at Jacksonville Jaguars NFL Pick
SU Winner: Jaguars, ATS Winner: Jaguars, O/U: Under
Team Betting Trends
- The New England defensive unit has sacked opposing quarterbacks three times this year. Jacksonville has produced two sacks.
- Jacksonville has lost zero fumbles this season while New England has lost two,
- The Patriots produced 32 passing touchdowns last season.
- The Jaguars put up 21 passing touchdowns last season.
- The Patriots created 16 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Jaguars put up 18 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Patriots put up 4.2 yards per carry last season while allowing 4.7 yards per rush attempt to opponents.
- The Jaguars registered 4.3 yards per carry last season and allowed a YPC of 4.3 to opponents.
- The Patriots offense gave up 35 sacks last season. Their defense created 42 sacks.
- Jaguars quarterbacks were sacked 24 times last season. Their defense was able to sack opposing QBs 55 times.
- Jacksonville was getting 3 points in its last match and the Over/Under going into it was 42.5. The under cashed and Jacksonville covered in the 20-15 victory over the Giants.
- Over its last three matches, Jacksonville is 2-1 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- In its last three matches, New England is 1-2 ATS and the over cashed in two of those three.
- New England was favored by 7 points in its previous game and the O/U going into it was 49. The under cashed and New England covered in the 27-20 triumph over Houston.