The Jacksonville Jaguars are favored by a field goal when they open their season against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium. This early afternoon matchup is scheduled to get underway at 1:00 p.m. ET and fans can watch the action on FOX.
Betting Preview: Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants
New York is a live dog in this one and is currently getting 3 points. The Jaguars are also receiving -150 moneyline odds while the Giants are +130. Vegas has placed the over/under (O/U) at 43.5 points, and if one team finds paydirt early, it’ll probably produce a decent live betting opportunity.
Odds have shifted a little from when they were originally set. The opening line was 3.5 while the game’s O/U was placed initially at 44.
The Giants were 3-13 straight up (SU) in 2017 while the Jaguars posted a record of 12-7 last season. When playing against conference competition, the Jaguars were 9-3 SU and the Giants were 1-11 SU versus National Football Conference franchises. The Jaguars went 1-3 SU when playing non-conference teams while the Giants were 2-2 SU against such teams.
The Jaguars produced 222.1 passing yards per game and 146.2 rushing yards per game against their 12 AFC opponents last year. They managed to put up 26.1 points per game against those opponents while giving up 12.2 per contest. When facing out-of-conference competition, they averaged 26.0 points and 30.5 points-allowed, in addition to 262.8 pass yards per game and 127.0 rush yards per game.
Against out-of-conference competition in 2017, the G-Men passed for 192.5 yards per game and ran for 119.3 per game on their way to 18.5 points per outing. When playing just NFC opponents, the offense recorded 14.3 points per game by averaging 242.5 passing yards and 89.3 rushing yards. The Giants defense allowed 17.5 PPG to non-conference foes and 26.5 to NFC teams,
If 2017’s numbers can translate to this year, then it seems like the Jaguars ought to hold an advantage when it comes to applying pressure. Their offensive line yielded only 24 sacks last season while the D-line logged 55 sacks. The Giants O-line permitted 34 sacks last year and their defense sacked opposing QBs just 27 times..
Jacksonville Jaguars vs. New York Giants Free Prediction
SU Winner: Jaguars, ATS Winner: Giants, O/U: Under
- The Jacksonville offensive line gave up 24 sacks last season. Their defense created 55 sacks.
- Giants quarterbacks were sacked 34 times last season. Their defense forced 27 sacks,
- Jacksonville created 18 rushing touchdowns last season.
- New York put up six rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Jaguars registered 4.3 yards per carry last season while allowing 4.3 yards per rush attempt to opponents.
- The Giants registered 3.9 yards per carry last season and allowed 4.2 YPC to opponents.
- Jacksonville produced 21 passing touchdowns last season.
- New York produced 20 passing touchdowns last season.