The Portland Trail Blazers (13-10) will be at home in Moda Center at the Rose Quarter when they challenge the Washington Wizards (12-11). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 203 points with Portland set as a 5.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 5, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Washington Wizards at Portland Trail Blazers Betting Preview
The last time the Wizards played, they lost big to the Utah Jazz, 116-69. With 14 points on 6-for-13 shooting, Otto Porter led Washington in scoring. Utah was lights out from beyond the arc (16-34; 47.1 percent). Washington, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (19-23; 82.6 percent).
The Trail Blazers are hoping for a better outcome after their 123-116 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans in their last outing. Damian Lillard was Portland’s high scorer with 29 points on 11-for-25 shooting. New Orleans did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (18-25; 72.0 percent). Portland, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 4.4 (better than their season average of 13.4).
Portland should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Trail Blazers rank first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.489), while Washington is 20th in effective field goal percentage (0.509). The Wizards should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 5th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.7 percent), while the Trail Blazers force the second-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents turnover percentage of 13.0 percent).
Both of these teams have typically gone under the projected point total. Washington games have finished under 63.6 percent of the time, while games involving Portland have gone under 69.6 percent of the time. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (12-11 for Washington; 13-10 for Portland), but the Wizards have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Washington is 12-10 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 8-12-3.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 213 points, which was over the projected point total of 202. The Trail Blazers won 108-105, covering as 4-point underdogs. Portland did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (17-22; 77.3 percent). Washington, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 15.1). In the loss, Porter had a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds.
Washington Wizards vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Under
- The Wizards rank 11th in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (14.6).
- Portland ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.0) while Washington ranks 12th (28.0).
- Washington ranks 15th in fast break points per game (10.0) while Portland ranks 29th (4.3).
- On the road, Washington is 8-3 ATS with 8 unders and 3 overs.
- Portland is 3-8-2 ATS at home with 10 unders and 3 overs.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Washington is 9-1 and Portland is 9-3.
- The Trail Blazers are 11-4 when they score more than 100 points, while the Wizards are 10-6.
- The Wizards rank 16th in steals per game (7.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 27th (6.7).
- Portland ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.8) while Washington ranks 25th (13.8).
- The Trail Blazers average 47.1 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Wizards rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (44.2).
- The Wizards rank 21st in assists per game (21.8) while the Trail Blazers rank last (18.2).
- Portland ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.5) while Washington ranks 19th (4.3).
- Portland is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 97.6 points per game (8.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.4 points per game (0.1 above their season average).