The Phoenix Suns (9-17) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they meet the Washington Wizards (13-11). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 215.5 points with Washington opening as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 7, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Arizona Plus.
Washington Wizards vs. Phoenix Suns Free Preview
In the Wizards last game, they beat the Portland Trail Blazers, 106-92. Bradley Beal was the top scorer from either team with 51 points on 21-for-37 shooting. Washington dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 12.4) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 22.6). Portland was 17.1 and 17.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The Suns are trying to rebound after their 126-113 loss to the Toronto Raptors in their last matchup. Devin Booker led Phoenix in scoring with 19 points on 4-for-15 shooting. Toronto held the Suns to an offensive rebounding percentage of 0.0 (below their season average of 24.8). Phoenix, meanwhile, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (30-38; 78.9 percent).
This game should be a matchup of contrasting tempos. Phoenix has preferred to play quickly (second in possessions per game), while Washington has been more methodical (13th in possessions per game). Ball security should be an advantage for the Wizards. They rank 3rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.5 percent), while the Suns force the third-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents turnover percentage of 13.1 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Washington have finished under 66.7 percent of the time, while 61.5 percent of Phoenix games have gone over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wizards have a sizable advantage. They are 13-11 SU and 13-11 ATS, while the Suns are 9-17 SU and 12-13-1 ATS.
Booker has been on fire over the last five games for Phoenix, averaging 30.4 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 238 points, which was over the projected point total of 228. The Suns won 122-116, covering as 11-point underdogs. The Suns played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.373 and an absurdly low turnover percentage of 8.3. For those same stats, the Wizards were 0.261 and 10.2, respectively. T.J. Warren put up a double-double in the victory with 40 points and 10 rebounds.
Washington Wizards vs. Phoenix Suns Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Under
- The Suns rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.8) while the Wizards rank 23rd (41.1).
- Phoenix averages 5.2 blocks per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Washington ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in rebounds per game (46.2) while Washington ranks 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Washington is 9-4 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 4-9 ATS at home.
- The Wizards have 10 unders and 3 overs in 13 road games.
- The Suns have 7 overs and 6 unders in 13 home games.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Phoenix is 2-1 and Washington is 10-1.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Suns are 8-11 and the Wizards are 11-6.
- The Wizards rank 10th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.4) while the Suns rank 26th (19.7).
- Washington ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Phoenix ranks last (9.1).
- The Suns average 13.4 second chance points per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Wizards rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- The Wizards rank 20th in assists per game (21.8) while the Suns rank 27th (20.2).
- Washington ranks 11th in fast break points allowed per game (10.4) while Phoenix ranks last (14.3).
- Phoenix is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, down from 8.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 97.8 points per game (8.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average).