The Memphis Grizzlies (12-26) will be at home in FedExForum when they challenge the Washington Wizards (22-16). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 207 points with Washington opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Washington Wizards vs. Memphis Grizzlies Betting Preview
The Wizards easily got past the New York Knicks in their last outing, 121-103. Bradley Beal was the games leading scorer with 27 points on 11-for-14 shooting. Washington played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.648 (above their season average of 0.516) and a free throw rate of 0.198 (matching their season average). New York recorded marks of 0.517 and 0.163, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Grizzlies last matchup, they were blown out by the Los Angeles Clippers, 113-105. Tyreke Evans was Memphis leading scorer with 18 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Los Angeles did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (26-31; 83.9 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, held the Clippers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.5 (below their season average of 23.9).
Memphis might have a difficult time scoring as they square off against one of the leagues best defenses. Washington currently ranks eighth in defensive efficiency, while the Grizzlies rank 24th in offensive efficiency.
Games involving these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Washington games have finished under 60.5 percent of the time, while 60.5 percent of Memphis games have finished under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wizards have a sizable advantage. They are 22-16 SU and 19-19 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 12-26 SU and 13-23-2 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Wizards, it’s been Beal, who has averaged 24.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Grizzlies have received great contributions from Evans (27.0 points, 7.4 assists, 5.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 180 points, well under the projected point total of 199.5. The Wizards won 93-87, but were unable to cover as 8-point favorites. Washington had a better effective field goal percentage (0.526 vs. 0.444). Memphis, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (20.8 vs. 14.0). Beal was a top performer in the victory, with 18 points and seven assists.
Washington Wizards at Memphis Grizzlies Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Wizards rank 13th in second chance points per game (13.0) while the Grizzlies rank 25th (10.4).
- Washington ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while Memphis ranks fifth (6.8).
- Washington averages 11.0 fast break points per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. Memphis ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (13.2).
- On the road, Washington is 11-8 ATS with 14 unders and 5 overs.
- Memphis is 5-13-1 ATS at home with 14 unders and 5 overs.
- Memphis is 9-8 when they allow less than 100 points, while Washington is 13-1.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Wizards are 19-7 and the Grizzlies are 7-8.
- The Grizzlies rank sixth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Wizards rank 12th in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- Washington ranks 12th in assists per game (22.8) while Memphis ranks 28th (20.7).
- The Grizzlies rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.6) while the Wizards rank 17th (44.7).
- The Wizards average 18.1 points off turnovers per game, which ranks eighth in the league. The Grizzlies rank ninth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.2).
- Washington ranks 16th in rebounds per game (43.4) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.6).
- Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Grizzlies have outscored opponents by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Memphis has lost by an average of 3.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 113.2 points per game (6.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.4 points per game (2.4 above their season average).