Southeast Division foes will clash when the Atlanta Hawks (8-25) square off against the Washington Wizards (19-15) at Philips Arena. Washington is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 211.5 points. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Washington Wizards at Atlanta Hawks Betting Preview
The Wizards beat the Boston Celtics in their last game, 111-103. With 21 points, 14 assists and five rebounds, Washington’s John Wall had a good performance. Washington dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.1 (better than their season average of 12.2) and a free throw rate of 0.204 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Boston put up marks of 15.3 and 0.136, respectively.
In the Hawks last game, they topped the Dallas Mavericks, 112-107. With 33 points on 13-for-22 shooting, Dennis Schroder was the top scorer from either team. Atlanta played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.243 (above their season average of 0.183) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.7 (below their season average of 21.3). For those same stats, Dallas was 0.141 and 17.9, respectively.
It could be an error-filled game for the Atlanta offense. Atlanta ranks 23rd in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.2 percent), while the pesky defense of Washington forces the eighth-most turnovers in the league (15.0 percent).
Of Washington’s 34 games, 22 have finished under the O/U total, while 18 of Atlanta’s 33 games have finished over the projected point total. The Wizards have the better straight up (SU) record (19-15 vs. 8-25), but the Hawks have been superior against the spread (ATS) (18-14-1 vs. 17-17).
Kent Bazemore has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Atlanta, averaging 13.4 points, 5.0 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 207 points, which was under the projected point total of 216. The Wizards won 113-94, covering as 10-point favorites. The Wizards dominated every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.282 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. The Hawks recorded marks of 0.145 and 24.4, respectively, for those same stats. Bradley Beal scored a game-high 19 points.
Washington Wizards at Atlanta Hawks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Under
- The Wizards rank second in steals allowed per game (6.7) while the Hawks rank 19th (8.1).
- Washington ranks 15th in fast break points per game (10.7) while Atlanta ranks 16th in fast break points allowed per game (11.1).
- Washington ranks 13th in three pointers allowed per game (28.6) while Atlanta ranks 28th (31.6).
- Washington is 11-7 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 8-8 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Hawks 16 home games, while 13 of the Wizards 18 road games have gone under.
- Washington is 13-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Atlanta is 1-3.
- The Wizards are 16-7 when they reach the century mark, while the Hawks are 8-14.
- The Wizards rank 16th in rebounds per game (43.4) while the Hawks rank 29th (39.3).
- Washington ranks ninth in assists allowed per game (21.5) while Atlanta ranks last (25.8).
- The Wizards rank fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Hawks rank 22nd (18.0).
- Washington ranks 12th in second chance points per game (12.7) while Atlanta ranks last in second chance points allowed per game (14.1).
- Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 4.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 108.0 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.4 points per game (3.8 above their season average).