The Detroit Pistons (22-21) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they square off with the Washington Wizards (25-20). Washington is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 208 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Washington Wizards vs. Detroit Pistons Free Preview
The Wizards got blown out by the Charlotte Hornets in their last outing, 133-109. With 26 points on 10-for-19 shooting, Bradley Beal was the games leading scorer. Charlotte had a turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 11.5). Washington, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.567 vs. 0.566).
In the Pistons last game, they were blown out by the Toronto Raptors, 96-91. Andre Drummond was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 12-for-15 shooting. Toronto did an excellent job of making free throws (17-23; 73.9 percent). Detroit, on the other hand, forced the Raptors into a turnover percentage of 18.2 (above their season average of 11.6).
Games involving these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Washington games have gone under 55.6 percent of the time, while 58.1 percent of Detroit games have gone under. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (25-20 for Washington; 22-21 for Detroit), but the Pistons have the edge against the spread (ATS). Detroit is 24-17-2 ATS, while the Wizards are 19-26.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Wizards, it’s been John Wall, who has averaged 26.2 points, 12.2 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.4 blocks, while the Pistons have received solid contributions from Avery Bradley (18.0 points, 3.2 assists and 1.2 steals).
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Wizards winning both. In the most recent contest, Markieff Morris scored a game-high 23 points and the Wizards, who were 1-point underdogs, beat the Pistons 109-91. He also put up seven rebounds. The two teams combined for 200 points, which was just 4 points below the projected point total of 204 points. The Wizards played a perfect game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 36.4 and a turnover percentage of 10.2. The Pistons recorded marks of 10.8 and 14.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Washington Wizards at Detroit Pistons Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Wizards rank 19th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Pistons rank 29th (3.6).
- Detroit averages 43.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. Washington ranks 18th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.2).
- Detroit ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while Washington ranks 12th (15.6).
- Detroit is 10-8-1 ATS at home, while Washington is 11-10 ATS on the road.
- The Wizards have 15 unders and 6 overs in 21 road games.
- Of the Pistons 19 home games, they have 10 unders and 9 overs.
- Detroit is 12-5 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Washington is 13-1.
- The Wizards are 22-10 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 19-8.
- The Pistons rank 19th in rebounds per game (42.1) while the Wizards rank 21st in rebounds allowed per game (43.9).
- Detroit ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while Washington ranks 24th (13.5).
- The Wizards rank 10th in assists allowed per game (22.0) while the Pistons rank 26th (24.3).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.4) while Washington ranks 14th (11.1).
- Detroit is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 0-5 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pistons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 110.4 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.2 points per game (9.9 above their season average).