The Dallas Mavericks (15-31) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they go head-to-head against the Washington Wizards (26-20). Washington is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 214 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Washington Wizards at Dallas Mavericks ATS Preview
The Wizards beat the Detroit Pistons in their last game, 122-112. With 26 points, Bradley Beal put together a solid game for Washington. Washington played a perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 12.4) and a free throw rate of 0.293 (above their season average of 0.204). For those same stats, Detroit had marks of 13.3 and 0.275, respectively.
In the Mavericks last matchup, they were defeated by the Portland Trail Blazers, 117-108. With 21 points, six rebounds and six assists, Dennis Smith Jr. put together a good outing for Dallas. Portland made 18 of their 36 three pointers (50.0 percent). Dallas, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (22-28; 78.6 percent).
Second-chance opportunities could be rare for Washington in this battle. The Wizards rank 16th in offensive rebounding percentage (22.5 percent), while Dallas ranks fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.3 percent).
Of Washington’s 46 games, 25 have finished under the O/U total, while 24 of Dallas 46 games have finished under the projected point total. The Wizards have the superior straight up (SU) record (26-20 vs. 15-31), but the Mavericks hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (23-23 vs. 20-26).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Wizards, it’s been Kelly Oubre Jr. who has averaged 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds, while the Mavericks have received great contributions from Smith Jr. (18.8 points, 4.4 assists and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 212 points, just under the projected point total of 213.5. The Mavericks won 113-99, covering as 10-point underdogs. The Mavericks played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.4 and a great turnover percentage of 9.9. The Wizards were 6.7 and 14.4, respectively, for those same stats. Harrison Barnes was the games leading scorer with 31 points.
Washington Wizards at Dallas Mavericks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Mavericks rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.1) while the Wizards rank 18th (45.0).
- Washington ranks 15th in rebounds per game (43.0) while Dallas ranks 27th (40.2).
- Washington ranks 13th in fast break points allowed per game (11.1) while Dallas ranks 28th (14.2).
- Washington ranks ninth in assists per game (23.3) while Dallas ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (22.7).
- Washington is 12-10 ATS on the road, while Dallas is 11-13 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 13 of the Mavericks 24 home games, while 15 of the Wizards 22 road games have gone under.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Dallas is 11-8 and Washington is 13-1.
- The Wizards are 23-10 when they score over 100 points, while the Mavericks are 10-15.
- The Wizards rank 14th in steals per game (7.8) while the Mavericks rank 26th (6.8).
- Washington ranks sixth in points off turnovers per game (18.1) while Dallas ranks last (13.8).
- The Mavericks rank fourth in three pointers attempted per game (31.9) while the Wizards rank 22nd (26.0).
- The Wizards rank 19th in blocks per game (4.5) while the Mavericks rank 26th (3.7).
- Dallas ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while Washington ranks 22nd (13.4).
- Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Mavericks have outscored opponents by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Dallas has been defeated by an average of 2.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 114.0 points per game (6.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.2 points per game (10.8 above their season average).