The Boston Celtics (27-9) will be at home in TD Garden when they meet the Washington Wizards (18-15). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 206 points with Boston opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 5:30 p.m. ET on Monday, December 25, 2017, and it can be seen on ABC.
Washington Wizards at Boston Celtics Odds Preview
The Wizards had no trouble getting past the Orlando Magic in their last matchup, 130-103. With 10 points and 13 assists, Washington’s John Wall had a good game. Washington played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 22.1) and a free throw rate of 0.233 (above their season average of 0.204). For those same stats, Orlando was 9.8 and 0.126, respectively.
In the Celtics last matchup, they dismantled the Chicago Bulls, 117-92. With 25 points on 9-for-15 shooting, Kyrie Irving was the games leading scorer. The Celtics had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 4.7 (better than their season average of 12.5) and held the Bulls to an effective field goal percentage of 0.436 (below their season average of 0.495).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Boston figures to have a significant edge. The Celtics defense ranks second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.494), while the Washington offense is ranked 18th in effective field goal percentage (0.512).
Of Washington’s 33 games, 22 have finished under the projected point total, while 18 of Boston’s 36 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a substantial advantage. They are 27-9 SU and 22-12-2 ATS, while the Wizards are 18-15 SU and 16-17 ATS.
Marcus Smart has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 11.4 points, 4.0 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Celtics won six out of 11 matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Boston won 115-105. Boston had a much better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 13.9). Washington, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 vs. 10.8).
Washington Wizards vs. Boston Celtics ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank third in three pointers allowed per game (26.0) while the Wizards rank 13th (28.6).
- Boston ranks third in assists allowed per game (20.2) while Washington ranks ninth (21.5).
- Boston averages 43.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. Washington ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Washington is fourth in the NBA with 6.8 steals allowed per game while Boston is fifth with 6.9 steals allowed per game.
- Washington is 10-7 ATS on the road with 13 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Boston is 10-6-2 ATS with 10 overs and 8 unders.
- When allowing below 100 points, Washington is 13-1 and Boston is 19-1.
- The Wizards are 15-7 when they reach 100 points, while the Celtics are 20-3.
- The Wizards rank 22nd in points in the paint per game (41.5) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.0).
- Washington ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while Boston ranks 28th (14.2).
- The Celtics rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while the Wizards rank 23rd (13.2).
- The Celtics rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.1) while the Wizards rank 10th (10.3).
- Boston ranks third in blocks allowed per game (3.9) while Washington ranks 14th (4.7).
- Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 105.8 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.0 points per game (1.4 above their season average).