The Cleveland Cavaliers (12-32) and the Washington Wizards (14-29) go head-to-head at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The Cavaliers are 1-point favorites and will attempt to snap their five-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 232 points and it is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
Washington Wizards vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last contest. The Wizards (1-point favorites) were defeated by the Miami Heat, 134-129, while the Cavaliers (1.5-point underdogs) fell to the New York Knicks, 106-86. The Washington game went 30.5 points over the projected point total of 232.5, while the Cleveland game went 30.5 points under the projected point total of 222.5.
Washington had a better turnover percentage (9.3 vs. 13.7) while Cleveland held New York to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.9 (below their season average of 24.7). Cleveland was led by Tristan Thompson, who contributed 13 points and 22 rebounds. Meanwhile, Bradley Beal fueled Washington with 38 points, nine rebounds and five assists.
In their first matchup this season, Thompson led the Cavaliers to a 113-100 win. He registered a double-double with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Cleveland covered as a 5-point underdog and the two teams combined for 213 points, which was well under the projected point total of 233. Cleveland made good use of their 29 trips to the charity stripe, converting on 25 of them (86.2 percent). Washington, on the other hand, was just 3-6 (50.0 percent).
Of the Wizards’ 42 games that accepted bets, 23 have finished over the total. Washington comes into the contest with records of 14-29 straight up (SU) and 21-21 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Cavaliers’ 44 games, 23 have finished over the total. Further, Cleveland owns records of 12-32 SU and 19-23-2 ATS.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Cleveland. Cleveland ranks 30th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.5 percent), while the gambling defense of Washington forces the eighth-most turnovers in the NBA (14.4 percent).
Washington Wizards vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Over
- The Cavaliers rank 20th in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Wizards rank 29th (42.4).
- Washington ranks sixth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while Cleveland ranks last in points off turnovers allowed per game (20.1).
- The Wizards rank 11th in steals allowed per game (7.4) while the Cavaliers rank 26th (8.9).
- Washington ranks 11th in fast break points allowed per game (12.6) while Cleveland ranks 25th (15.4).
- Washington ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.4) while Cleveland ranks last (6.6).
- The Wizards rank eighth in assists per game (25.6) while the Cavaliers rank 29th in assists allowed per game (25.8).
- The Wizards rank 17th in points in the paint per game (47.3) while the Cavaliers rank last in points allowed in the paint per game (54.1).
- Cleveland ranks 11th in second chance points per game (13.5) while Washington ranks 27th in second chance points allowed per game (14.4).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Cleveland is 4-3 and Washington is 3-0.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Wizards are 12-28 and the Cavaliers are 11-20.
- Washington is 11-11 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is 8-12-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 13 of the Wizards’ 22 road games, while 11 of the Cavaliers’ 21 home games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Washington and Cleveland are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Wizards have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Cavaliers have 3 overs and 2 unders
- The Wizards’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 102.6 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 118.6 points per game (4.7 above their season average).