Pac-12 foes will battle when the Washington State Cougars (8-6, 0-2 Pac-12) square off with the Washington Huskies (11-4, 1-1 Pac-12) at Wallis Beasley Performing Arts Coliseum. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
Washington Huskies at Washington State Cougars Free Preview
The last time the Huskies played, they were blown out by the UCLA Bruins, 74-53. With 14 points on 4-for-11 shooting, Noah Dickerson led Washington in scoring. UCLA did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (25-30; 83.3 percent). Washington, meanwhile, forced the Bruins into a turnover percentage of 18.9 (above their season average of 15.0).
The Cougars are trying to rebound after their 89-71 loss to the No. 25 USC Trojans in their last matchup. Malachi Flynn was the games high scorer with 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting. USC forced the Cougars into a turnover percentage of 20.5 (above their season average of 16.3). Washington State, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.207 (above their season average of 0.187).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Washington State should have a substantial advantage. The upper-echelon Cougars offense ranks 57th in the NCAA in that metric at 0.552, while the porous Washington defense is ranked 254th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.520). Moreover, the Huskies, who rank 45th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.287), will face off against the Cougars, who rank 34th in opponents FTA rate (0.176).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Cougars won both games last season. In the most recent game, Washington State won 79-71. The Cougars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.224 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.569. For those same stats, the Huskies put up marks of 0.132 and 0.456, respectively.
Washington Huskies vs. Washington State Cougars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Washington, ATS Winner – Washington, O/U – Under
- The Huskies rank 25th in blocks per game (5.5) while the Cougars rank 161st (2.4).
- Washington ranks 203rd in rebounds per game (34.0) while Washington State ranks 224th in rebounds allowed per game (38.6).
- Washington State ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.0) while Washington ranks 198th (19.9).
- The Huskies rank 16th in steals per game (8.9) while the Cougars rank 168th (5.4).
- Washington State averages 15.4 assists per game, which ranks 84th in the NCAA. Washington ranks 235th in assists allowed per game (17.2).
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, up from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (6.1 below their season average).