Two clubs that are squaring off for the final time this season, the Washington Capitals and the San Jose Sharks face off at the SAP Center for an East-West tilt. The puck drops at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, and you can witness the game live on NBC Sports Washington.
Washington Capitals at San Jose Sharks Odds
Washington is 37-30 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 2.1 units this year. Through 67 regular season contests, 38 of its games have gone over the total, while 28 have gone under and just one has pushed. This 2017-18 Capitals team is 14-19 SU on the road.
Washington has converted on 21.8 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that places them in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 18th overall, and it has successfully killed off 79.5 percent of its penalties.
The Caps, as a collective unit, have been penalized 4.1 times per game overall in the 2017-18 season, 3.8 per game over its past five total, and 3.8 per game over its last five on the road. The teams had to kill penalties just 8.2 minutes per game over their last five outings.
With a .907 save percentage and 27.7 saves per game, Braden Holtby (29-19-4) has been the primary option in goal for Washington this season. If it chooses to rest him, however, Washington may roll with Philipp Grubauer (8-18-3), who has a .923 save percentage and 2.35 goals against average this year.
Alex Ovechkin and Evgeny Kuznetsov will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Capitals. Ovechkin has 72 points via 40 goals and 32 assists, and has recorded multiple points 19 times. Kuznetsov has 20 goals and 44 assists to his name (and has notched at least one point in 40 games).
San Jose is 36-31 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. 39 of its matches have gone under the total, while 26 have gone over and just two have pushed. This season, the teams 20-13 SU at home.
The Sharks have converted on 21.2 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that places it in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked first overall, and it’s successfully killed off 84.8 percent of all penalties.
San Jose skaters have been sent to the penalty box only 3.4 times per game in total this season, and 1.4 per game over their last five at home. The team has had to stave off opponent power plays just 3.6 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Martin Jones has denied 25.9 shots per game as the top option in goal for the Sharks. Jones has 23 wins, 24 losses, and seven overtime losses and has registered a 2.49 goals against average and a .917 save percentage this season.
Joe Pavelski (18 goals, 35 assists) and Brent Burns (10 goals, 43 assists) will pace the offensive counter for the Sharks.
Washington Capitals vs. San Jose Sharks Betting Predictions
Free NHL Tip: SU Winner – Sharks, O/U – Under
- Over San Jose’s last ten outings, eight of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 5-3 in those games).
- The Capitals are 12-8 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 20-15 in games where they’re in the box for fewer than 10 penalty minutes, total.
- Washington is 3-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while San Jose is 4-3 in shootouts.
- San Jose is ranked 23rd this season with 10.6 giveaways per game. That figure has improved, however, as the teams averaged 6.0 giveaways over its last 10 games and 5.8 giveaways over its last five.
- Washington skaters have averaged 12.0 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 11.1 giveaways per game (ranked 26th overall).