The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (6-5) look to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Wake Forest when they welcome the Demon Deacons (6-4) to HTC Center. Wake Forest is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 151 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Free Preview
The Demon Deacons easily got past the Army West Point Black Knights in their last matchup, 109-80. With 20 points and 11 rebounds, Wake Forest’s Doral Moore had a solid outing. Wake Forest played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.304 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.2 (above their season average of 31.3). For those same stats, Army West Point was 0.172 and 25.6, respectively. The last time the Chanticleers played, they topped the Montreat Cavaliers, 83-70. Coastal Carolina was led by Zac Cuthbertson, who put up 22 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Coastal Carolina dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.375 (above their season average of 0.256) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (below their season average of 36.8). For those same stats, Montreat had marks of 0.162 and 20.0, respectively.
Wake Forest appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Demon Deacons currently rank 39th in offensive efficiency, while Coastal Carolina ranks 192nd in defensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving Wake Forest have finished under 75.0 percent of the time, while 100.0 percent of Coastal Carolina games have gone over. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (6-4 for Wake Forest; 6-5 for Coastal Carolina), but the Demon Deacons have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Wake Forest is 4-4 ATS, while the Chanticleers are 3-2.Jaylen Shaw has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Coastal Carolina, averaging 18.0 points, 4.6 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Demon Deacons won the lone contest last season, 86-74. Wake Forest did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (21-25; 84.0 percent). Coastal Carolina, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (24.0 vs. 9.4).
Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wake Forest, ATS Winner – Wake Forest, O/U – Under
- Wake Forest is 2-2 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 0 overs.
- At home, Coastal Carolina is 0-1 ATS with 1 over and 0 unders.
- Coastal Carolina ranks 84th in three pointers attempted per game (21.3) while Wake Forest ranks 241st in three pointers allowed per game (26.0).
- The Chanticleers rank 23rd in rebounds per game (42.2) while the Demon Deacons rank 169th (35.1).
- Wake Forest ranks 12th in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while Coastal Carolina ranks 78th (2.5).
- Coastal Carolina is 1-1 ATS with 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wake Forest is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Chanticleers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 8.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demon Deacons have scored an average of 86.4 points per game (6.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.6 points per game (3.6 below their season average).