The Wake Forest Demon Deacons (9-14, 2-9 ACC) will attempt to snap a five-game road losing streak when they square off with the No. 25 Miami Hurricanes (17-5, 6-4 ACC) at Watsco Center. Miami opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Miami Hurricanes Free Preview
The Demon Deacons lost to the No. 20 Clemson Tigers in their last outing, 75-67. Bryant Crawford put together a solid performance for Wake Forest, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 4-for-12 shooting. Clemson did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-20; 85.0 percent). Wake Forest, meanwhile, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.8 (below their season average of 27.2).
In the Hurricanes last game, they beat the Virginia Tech Hokies, 84-75. Miami was lifted by Anthony Lawrence II, who was the games high scorer with 25 points on 9-for-10 shooting. Miami played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.281 (above their season average of 0.186) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.4 (above their season average of 29.4). For those same stats, Virginia Tech was 0.150 and 19.4, respectively.
Miami figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Hurricanes currently rank 99th in offensive efficiency, while the Demon Deacons rank 279th in defensive efficiency. ,
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Demon Deacons, it’s been Doral Moore, who has averaged 13.2 points, 12.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks, while the Hurricanes have received great contributions from Lonnie Walker IV (19.0 points and 1.6 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Demon Deacons won the only game last season, 96-79. Wake Forest did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (27-33; 81.8 percent). Miami, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 vs. 20.0).
Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Miami Hurricanes ATS Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Miami, ATS Winner – Wake Forest, O/U – Over
- The Hurricanes average 13.5 assists per game, which ranks 154th in the NCAA. The Demon Deacons rank 199th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Miami averages 36.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 105th in the NCAA. Wake Forest ranks 140th in rebounds allowed per game (34.5).
- Miami ranks 86th in three pointers allowed per game (20.5) while Wake Forest ranks 225th (23.8).
- The Hurricanes rank 94th in steals per game (6.6) while the Demon Deacons rank 152nd in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Miami averages 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 50th in the NCAA. Wake Forest ranks 97th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- The Hurricanes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 9.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demon Deacons have scored an average of 67.8 points per game (6.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.2 points per game (2.5 above their season average).