A nine-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the No. 7 Duke Blue Devils (14-2, 2-2 ACC) when they welcome the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (8-8, 1-3 ACC) to Cameron Indoor Stadium. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Duke Blue Devils Free Preview
In the Demon Deacons last game, they lost to the Virginia Tech Hokies, 83-75. Wake Forest’s Doral Moore finished with 12 points and 13 rebounds in the game. Virginia Tech did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (13-16; 81.3 percent). Wake Forest, meanwhile, held the Hokies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.3 (below their season average of 25.4).
The Blue Devils will look to maintain momentum after blowing out the Pittsburgh Panthers in their last matchup, 87-52. Duke was lifted by Marvin Bagley III, who led the team in scoring with 16 points on 7-for-16 shooting. Duke dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 7.7 (better than their season average of 13.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.571). For those same stats, Pittsburgh was 19.8 and 0.373, respectively.
The high-powered offense of Duke (first in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 127.2) will clash against the mid-tier defense of Wake Forest (247th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 105.2). The Blue Devils should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Gary Trent Jr. has really been playing well over the last five games for Duke, averaging 15.6 points and 2.0 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Blue Devils won both matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Duke won 99-94. Duke made 13 of its 27 three pointers (48.1 percent). Wake Forest, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (4.8 vs. 9.3).
Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Duke Blue Devils ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Duke, O/U – Over
- The Blue Devils rank 11th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while the Demon Deacons rank 85th (6.2).
- Duke ranks 18th in blocks per game (5.6) while Wake Forest ranks 84th (3.7).
- Duke ranks second in assists per game (20.1) while Wake Forest ranks 169th in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- The Blue Devils rank second in rebounds per game (44.1) while the Demon Deacons rank 126th (36.5).
- Duke ranks 133rd in three pointers attempted per game (22.3) while Wake Forest ranks 211th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- The Blue Devils average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.0, down from 19.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demon Deacons have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (7.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (2.6 above their season average).