The Saint Francis U Red Flash (11-8, 5-3 NEC) welcome the Wagner Seahawks (13-6, 6-2 NEC) in a matchup that pits outstanding offense against superb defense. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. ET on Friday, January 26, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Wagner Seahawks vs. Saint Francis U Red Flash Free Preview
The Seahawks were victorious over the Robert Morris Colonials in their last matchup, 62-49. With 11 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists, JoJo Cooper had a good game for Wagner. Wagner’s 0.509 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Robert Morris, who had a mark of 0.288. The Seahawks mark was above their season average of 0.487, while the Colonials was below their season average of 0.478.
In the Red Flash’s last matchup, they topped the Sacred Heart Pioneers, 73-60. Saint Francis U rallied around Jamaal King, who was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Saint Francis U dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.358 (above their season average of 0.244) and a turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 15.0). Sacred Heart had marks of 0.117 and 18.0, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the productive offense of Saint Francis U (47th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 113.4) takes on the elite defense of Wagner (41st in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 96.2). Also, the Seahawks are among the NCAA’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking 25th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.2 percent). The Red Flash, meanwhile, rank 279th at securing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 68.9 percent.
Cooper has been solid over the last five games for Wagner, averaging 17.8 points, 5.8 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Seahawks won 73-64. Wagner had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (40.0 vs. 21.2). Saint Francis U, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (16-21; 76.2 percent). Cooper put up a double-double in the victory with 17 points and 10 assists.
Wagner Seahawks at Saint Francis U Red Flash Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wagner, ATS Winner – Wagner, O/U – Under
- The Seahawks rank 40th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Red Flash rank 209th (1.8).
- Saint Francis U ranks 38th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Wagner ranks 65th (5.7).
- Wagner ranks 27th in assists allowed per game (10.9) while Saint Francis U ranks 252nd (17.4).
- The Seahawks rank 45th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while the Red Flash rank 251st (25.3).
- Wagner ranks 23rd in rebounds per game (40.2) while Saint Francis U ranks 207th (34.2).
- The Red Flash’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seahawks have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.8 points per game (6.1 below their season average).