The VMI Keydets (5-10, 0-4 SoCon), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they travel to Ramsey Center to take on the Western Carolina Catamounts (7-10, 3-2 SoCon). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 138 points with Western Carolina opening as a 10-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
VMI Keydets at Western Carolina Catamounts ATS Preview
The Keydets were blown out by the East Tennessee State Buccaneers in their last game, 89-48. VMI’s Bubba Parham put together a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 5-for-12 shooting. East Tennessee State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.605 (above their season average of 0.539). VMI, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.340 (above their season average of 0.240).
The last time the Catamounts played, they were dismantled by the UNCG Spartans, 66-55. Mike Amius was Western Carolina’s leading scorer with 19 points on 6-for-13 shooting. UNCG had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 33.8). Western Carolina, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.526 (above their season average of 0.198).
It could be an error-filled game for the VMI offense. VMI ranks 330th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.5 percent), while the disruptive defense of Western Carolina forces the 44th-most turnovers in the nation (22.5 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving VMI have finished under 75.0 percent of the time, while 64.3 percent of Western Carolina games have finished over. The Catamounts hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-10 SU and 8-6 ATS, while the Keydets are 5-10 SU and 3-5 ATS.
Amius has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Western Carolina, averaging 17.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Catamounts won the last contest 81-68. The Catamounts played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.268 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 29.0. The Keydets recorded marks of 0.175 and 21.1, respectively, for those same stats.
VMI Keydets vs. Western Carolina Catamounts ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Western Carolina, ATS Winner – Western Carolina, O/U – Under
- The Keydets rank 208th in rebounds per game (33.6) while the Catamounts rank 223rd in rebounds allowed per game (38.2).
- On the road, VMI is 2-4 ATS with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Western Carolina is 2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 0 overs.
- Western Carolina averages 8.5 steals per game, which ranks 21st in the NCAA. VMI ranks 157th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Keydets rank 173rd in assists per game (12.8) while the Catamounts rank 221st in assists allowed per game (15.9).
- VMI averages 21.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 135th in the NCAA. Western Carolina ranks 160th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8).
- Western Carolina is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, VMI is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Catamounts average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 10.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Keydets have scored an average of 56.8 points per game (8.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 81.2 points per game (7.5 above their season average).