The VCU Rams (7-5) will be at home in Stuart Siegel Center when they square off against the VMI Keydets (5-5). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147.5 points with VCU set as a 21-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
VMI Keydets vs. VCU Rams Free Preview
The Keydets easily got past the Southern Wesleyan Warriors in their last matchup, 90-52. Jordan Ratliffe was VMI’s high scorer with 13 points on 5-for-8 shooting. VMI played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.611 (above their season average of 0.492) and a turnover percentage of 12.3 (better than their season average of 20.0). For those same stats, Southern Wesleyan had marks of 0.304 and 22.1, respectively.
In the Rams last game, they topped the Winthrop Eagles, 69-55. With 22 points on 8-for-15 shooting, Justin Tillman was the top scorer from either team. VCU dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.483 (below their season average of 0.528) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.2 (below their season average of 32.3). For those same stats, Winthrop was 0.364 and 24.4, respectively.
VMI could have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this contest. The Keydets currently rank 278th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.246, while VCU ranks 51st in FTA rate allowed (0.183).
Of VMI’s 3 games that accepted bets, two have finished under the projected point total, while 4 of VCU’s 8 games have finished over the projected point total. The Rams come into this game with a sizable advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-5 SU and 4-4 ATS, while the Keydets are 5-5 SU and 1-2 ATS.
Tillman has been superb over the last five games for VCU, averaging 23.4 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.
VMI Keydets at VCU Rams Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – VCU, ATS Winner – VCU, O/U – Over
- The Rams average 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 99th in the nation. The Keydets rank 154th in assists allowed per game (11.1).
- VCU ranks 112th in steals per game (6.5) while VMI ranks 135th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- VCU ranks 99th in rebounds per game (37.3) while VMI ranks 184th in rebounds allowed per game (34.2).
- The Keydets rank 39th in blocks allowed per game (3.0) while the Rams rank 114th (3.7).
- VMI ranks 61st in three pointers attempted per game (22.3) while VCU ranks 135th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1).
- The Rams have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. On the season, VCU has defeated opponents by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Keydets have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (4.5 below their season average).